Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Aspire EP - Worth Getting Gear Reduction?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Aspire EP - Worth Getting Gear Reduction?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 10:07 AM
sodekirk-delete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aspire EP - Worth Getting Gear Reduction?

I have a stock Aspire EP for which I am considering purchasing a gear drive and larger prop. I don't have any sailplane experience other than the Aspire EP, so I don't really know what to expect from a sailplane. I don't expect the Aspire to be a floater, but it does seem to need quite a bit of speed to fly well. Also, it doesn't seem to handle wind well. Even a very slight breeze makes it difficult to fly.
I have a Wattage Hawk EP that I love. It flies like it is on rails, has no trouble climbing out, and handles a little wind just fine.
Can anyone tell me their experience with a gear drive in the Aspire EP? Should I invest in the Aspire, or rather spend my money or another plane like the Hawk EP?

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 10-15-2003, 10:54 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aspire EP - Worth Getting Gear Reduction?

I fly my Esprie with a Master Airscrew 600 with a 3 to 1 gear reduction. Get it from Tower for about 32.00. The prop is included.

My Aspire flys great. I prefer to fly it when there is some wind. I use a speed control and a nihi 3000 mah 8 cell battery. I also use a 1300 8 cell nicad mah battery. The 3000 is my preference.

I set the balance just forward of the wind spare. This is a long way forward from what they tell you to set it. This makes the model control much better. It is almost unflyable at the balance point they give you in the instructions.

Do not over control the sailplane. Let the plane climb out at a very shallow angle. I get a 8 to 10 minute run on the 3000 mah and 4 to 4 1/2 on the 1300 mah battery. Climb out is faster on the 1300 mah. I estimate a climb out of 600 ft/minute with the 3000 and 800 withe the 1300.

I am just learning but I get 25 to 40 minute flights.

The stock set up on the ASPIRE is totally unacceptable.

Invest in the gear drive motor and move up to 8 cell batteries and you have a preety good sailplane.

You will need to cut out the front of the plane to make room for the new moter and gear drive but it will bolt right to the existing engine mount using the existing holes. It is a very easy modificatin. I recommend using a little fiber glass on the front to reinforce it.

If you want some more detailed information just let me know.

Hope this helps. bob
Old 10-24-2003, 10:03 PM
lhatton
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aspire EP - Worth Getting Gear Reduction?

I second the Master Airscrew setup as the stock setup is more than likely to get you into trouble . I converted mine first week.

L