Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hi-start a Terminator?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Frequentcrasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi-start a Terminator?

Hello:
Can anyone tell me if you can hi-start a Terminator HLG without damage? If so, what size of tubing would be appropriate?
Old 10-21-2003, 12:51 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Hi-start a Terminator?

can you give more info on the plane? such as it's construction, wing span ... most planes can with stand a hi start launch it's more a matter of tension on the line.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:40 PM
averen

I believe the Terminator is a pretty strong plane actually made for discus style launches...as for getting it up in the air I would probably go with an up start or something smaller than your typical high start. The reason is that you're going to be pulling up the rubber and line with the plane and you probably won't get that high of a launch with a high start...just because your plane wasn't designed to produce that amount of lift.

There are a couple of guys that I fly with that use a good sized upstart ... some where between your "normal" upstart length and a short hi start. They use pretty thin rubber on it...and have broken it many times. But they get some decent launches with it.

Good Luck,
Jared
Old 10-25-2003, 08:10 AM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

I have flown some HL planes off of a standard 2m highstart (Pinnacle M from NSP). The ones I am have flown are NSP Chuperosa, MM Glidertech Illusion, and Dynaflite Skeeter). Both the Skeeter and the Illusion had shear webbing added to the spars because I intended to launch them from the highstart from the beginning as well as hand launch them. The Chuperosa was not strengthened in any way.

NSP sells a Pinnacle S (small) highstart that would probably be Okay. But, the terminator is not really designed to be launched with a highstart. You will have to experiment on your own with it. If you have not built it yet, some CF Uniweb under the sheeting should make it strong enough for a highstart without a huge weight penalty.
http://www.nesail.com/minihigh.html (Be sure to ask if it is in stock before you order!)

Skybench Aerotech has a small highstart for HL gliders I believe although it is not designed to launch really high (maybe 125-150' max).
http://www.skybench.com/

Aerofoam may have a lightweight highstart available as well.
http://www.aerofoam.com/

EJ
Old 10-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Frequentcrasher

Thanks for the replies. I was considering adding some CF or fiberglass strapping tape under the sheeting. You mentioned it wasn't designed to produce much lift? Could someone explain this please. It has a S4083 airfoil.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:53 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

I don't know if you got the "not much lift" idea from my post or not. I apologize if you read it that way. What I meant to say was the Terminator is not designed to handle the stress of high start launching. The force on the wings is equal to the tension in the highstart. That is why I recommended adding some CF uniweb under the sheeting to strengthen the wing.

The 4083 airfoil is fine for the plane and is not a "low lift" airfoil.

Ed
Old 10-27-2003, 12:38 AM
averen

I was mainly advising you to stay away from a really big high start. Since it is a smaller plane it might have problems getting enough airspeed on launch to drag up all the rubber and line with it from the high start.