Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Fields to fly in

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:32 PM
ke5in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fields to fly in

For anybody at flies in tree surrounded fields, what is that like?

Most of the places that I would be flying in would be under this constraint. I tried out the Pre-Flight simulator with a sailplane and often I would run out of altitude far from “where I was standing”. I could land the plane but if this were for real it would be stuck in a tree somewhere in the woods at the edge of a field. Realistically how much of a problem is this? Does this mean you are confined to flying the thermals within the boundary of the field?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 10-20-2003, 01:05 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Fields to fly in

I formerly flew with a hi-start or on a slope. I now live in the mountains surrounded by big airplane eating trees. I've found that electric power gets me up and I never let the best thermal take me far away from the field. We do not have a long runway but do have a fairly open approach at one end and we pray for the wind to be in the right direction. With electric power I can fly at the local soccer field, when it's not in use, and avoid some of the trees. I still fly nitro powered regular aircraft and sailplanes when I get the chance.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:37 PM
probligo

Default RE: Fields to fly in

There are two things that you would need to keep in mind while you are in the air.

First is the route back to your landing strip - where are the highest trees, what is my glide like, can I get back?

Second is the fact that if there is any breeze at all, then it will likely cause very noticeable turbulence - horizontal rotors - across the field. As these bleed off the downwind side of the field they might also affect your decision making in the first question.

You have not given any indication of the size of the field you are thinking of using. I have based my comment on a square - say 100 yards each side - which is about as small as I would think you could operate a histart from.

Mind you, on a good day the upwind edge of the field could be a goldmine of thermals!![8D][8D]