Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

HLG Tow hook?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 03:51 AM
orion1210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HLG Tow hook?

I'm thinking about hi-starting my highlight speed 1.8m HLG and was wondering what was the best way of installing the tow hook. Would it be better to make it myself with piano wire to minimise drag. if so what gauge would be suitable, and which would be the best way of making it.

It has a kevlar fuz so i think i would have to glue a hardwood block into the bottom to mount the hook
Old 10-30-2003, 08:47 AM
Jack Hyde
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HLG Tow hook?

For an HLG the maximum tension on the histart should be a couple of pounds. I would try taping a hook formed from a paper clip. I have not tried it myself but have heard it works. Give it a try. Easy, no cost and removable.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:59 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: HLG Tow hook?

Paper clip?????? Well it MAY work but it'll twist on the landings fer sure...

045 to 1/16 music wire would be my choice.

I'm using a little high start for my HLG that weighs 12 oz. It's an old free flight rubber motor. It's a single loop of 1/4 flat rubber about 20 feet long. I've got that tied to about 100 feet of 10 lb test monofilament with a 6 inch square of light nylon for a flag at the model. This snaps my model up nicely even on calm days. With a 7 or so mph headwind it actually pings off the top. And all that on Jack's 2 to 3 lbs of pull. When I first had it drawn back and was holding back the model with just two fingers on the fuselage I didn't think it would work at all so I let it go at a shallow angle. Well, was I shocked. It took off like a scalded cat with the line whistling. After that I gave it an almost vertical lauch with a nice toss and it shot up in fine style. NO WAY would I want to put any HLG on a normal high start. Even the lighter ones meant for 2 meter models would be gross overkill and may be too much for the HLG.

As for the block I wouldn't bother. I like Jack's EZ DUZ it method. But I'd make my "paper clip" from the 045 wire and just put it on with duct tape for the day. Poke the wire of the hook through the tape patch in the middle and stick the whole mess onto the bottom. A 2 inch square of tape wrapped up around the side will easily take the stress of such a light weight high start. If you notice the tape ripping a little around the wire then add a second smaller layer.