Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Electric 2m Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 06:43 PM
kaisor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric 2m Advice Please!

New to flying electric- did my first test flight today (2m Rainbow Bird) not too successful!-steep climb stalled- you guessed the outcome!- This was an ARF kit with the motor installed and was pulling to the right, does the motor have to be mounted straight or or does it have to have some offset to counteract the torque?
Question 2: When you hand launch will you use full throttle or throttle up after you are airborne?- I'm only running a 4oo Motor direct drive with a 6cell 1500ma
Old 11-05-2003, 12:52 PM
mode1mac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric 2m Advice Please!

Kaisor,
I have flown several electric gliders and in every case they will stick their nose in the air with power on. Fortunately I have a computer radio and mix in some down elevator with throttle. This is trial and error until a steady climb is achieved. I always launch on full throttle as the whole point of an electric glider is to get to height as quickly as possible then switch off the motor and work any available lift. Whilst some models require a touch of side and down thrust I have never found this necessary. However this obviously depends on the model and power involved. Your model with a straight 400 on 6 cells will only have a small climb angle. You could get a better performance with a gearbox and larger prop.
Cheers,
Mac
Old 11-07-2003, 07:14 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Electric 2m Advice Please!

ORIGINAL: kaisor

New to flying electric- did my first test flight today (2m Rainbow Bird) not too successful!-steep climb stalled- you guessed the outcome!- This was an ARF kit with the motor installed and was pulling to the right, does the motor have to be mounted straight or or does it have to have some offset to counteract the torque?
Question 2: When you hand launch will you use full throttle or throttle up after you are airborne?- I'm only running a 4oo Motor direct drive with a 6cell 1500ma
First - Did you balance the plane before you flew it?

Second - Did you perform unpowered hand launches to see how the plane flew with the moto off? Remember, this is a glider, so even though it has a motor, it should glide with the motor off.

If you did hand throw it with the motor off, did it fly out straight and smooth to a soft even landing?

Af to the perormance of hte plnae. I am not familir wit that plane. How much does the plane weigh. Speed 400 is pretty small for most 2 meter planes. If it weighs more than 24 ozs it may be very underpowered and may have trouble getting up to inital flying speed. Most 2 meter planes, like the GP Spectra, or hte EP-Aspire have speed 550 or speed 600 motors or higher. Even with these, they are considered just adequate in power unless they have a gear box with a large prop.