Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Flying Wings - Is there really a difference?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Flying Wings - Is there really a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 09:48 AM
chatenever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Wings - Is there really a difference?

I've recently returned to the hobby after 10 yrs of not flying. I bought a new radio and installed it in one of my old wanderers that I retrieved from the rafters in my garage. The biggest technology shock that I received when I went to the local slope was the EPP flying wing. I'd like to try one. There are many to choose from, at widely varying prices. Is there really a difference in performance between these models? (assuming the same wing span and foam density, etc).

Chatenever
Old 04-15-2003, 07:28 PM
e-sailpilot86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Wings - Is there really a difference?

I've seen pretty sharp differences between all the EPP flying wings I've seen. Fortunately, you have a very wide selection to look at. IMO, the Frank Cavazos Boomerang is a nice wing, slightly better than a Zagi. The Zagi sinks a little faster, requires more wind, but seems to be smoother overall. Find a wing with a wide speed range and a higher lift over drag. Look at wings that have a reasonable aspect ratio and not the short fat wings. The only benefit I see in those is roll rate, but overall manuverability seems to suffer as well as having higher drag. Take a look at the Bluto and other variants of it, they seem to be the most popular for overall use. Also, since you live in CA, you may be able to check out Parker Mountain and get into Dynamic Soaring with a Bluto. If the flying wing is a shock, DS will send you into a coma! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quicktime MPEG clip of DS and Joe Wurts:
http://www.reeseproductions.com/mpeg.../LT1large.html
(just click link, video loads in browser)