Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Air Ventillation of Spectra Glider ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Air Ventillation of Spectra Glider ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Combat Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Ventillation of Spectra Glider ?

I am covering a Great Planes Spectra (kit) received as a gift (already partially assembled). The question is in regards to covering the bottom of the fuselage. The fuselage has cut-outs in it's base which I think may be for weight reduction, but comments in the plans indicate air cooling vents. I wonder if the covering should be applied and then the cut-outs opened up, or if it is just for weight reduction, just cover and forget.

Since it utilizes an electric motor, I have upgraded the controller to a BEC controller to futher reduce weight (just use the main battery pack to supply the motor, and the radio & servo's (7cell 2100mah).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83255.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	77804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88199.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	77805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19930.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	77806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85689.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	77807  
Old 11-28-2003, 05:14 PM
AirHead256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Air Ventillation of Spectra Glider ?

I speak as someone who has a box of sticks that were once(briefly) a spectra that did not have enough air moving through her.
Think plastic spoons. sounds odd but cutting off the first 1" of plastic spoon (not handle end) and using that for what looks like a reverse hood scoop. Pick a couple spots on the fuse, (not matching up to align on the fuse as that makes a weak spot) and drill a 1/2" hole. Mount the scoop over the hole so the open end of the scoop faces aft and wil suck air out of the 1/2" holes in the fuse.
A friend told me he likes to have about 3 times as much out-vent as in-vent (the scoop in the canopy) as the out-air is warmed and takes up more space.
My plan for repair is to cut two holes on top of the fuse, one just aft of TE, and one 6" further back, CA the spoon/vents to get the suction vent thing going. and that should keep a brisk flow over motor, battery, etc.
Also, if possible I'm going to mount the ESC up in the canopy so it is really getting a nice breeze by the intake. And I will probably drill a few 1/8" holes near the spinner to get air right into the motor. A little extra can't hurt.
You do glass-n-epoxy your fuses, right? Darned good insurance. I also put a GP wing tip skid up front on the fuse to ease up on the landing bumps.
Ideas, ideas.
Perry - enjoy.