Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Best 2.5 - 3.0m scale ARF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Jeff Page
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 2.5 - 3.0m scale ARF?

Pattern flier looking to get back to my sailplane roots... Want a few good choices for 2.5 to 3.0 meter modern scale ARF ASH, ASK, Hirth etc.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 12-16-2003, 09:50 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Best 2.5 - 3.0m scale ARF?

For slope or thermal? Lots of the smaller scale sailplanes in this size are either not very detailed or too "modelish" for me. FWIW, I fly at Torrey Pines (SD, CA) but have mostly been flying jets lately, this is my first sailplane post here.

IMHO, bigger flies better, get as big as you can afford/transport.

I have about 200+ flights on a 3M Let L-33 from VK. It is just over 1/4 scale, but since the full size L-33 is a 12-meter class sailplane, the model spans just over 3 M. It is very aerobatic, flys well in light-ish lift (mostly slope and aerotow launching) and is big enough to present very well. It fits easily in my wife's Civic. The VK kit is an ARF with a glass fuse (with molded cockpit - lots of seat and panel detail) and Ultracoat (nee Oracover) covered balsa over glass/foam wings and stab, both removable. Hobby Club sells them for $800.

If this is too big, the Formo Pilatus is also great, at 2.1M, only about $210, but best on the slope. VK also makes a 3M ASW-24/27 that flies very well but is not as detailed as the L33, they run $650 or so.

Gerasis makes some nice all-glass models in the 3M range, about $500 to $800. I've owned the DG800 (very nice) and the Duo-Discus, flies great on the slope, a bit snappy for thermal flying.

Icare sells some excellent gliders in this size, have not owned them but seen them fly. The 2.5M discus 2B is excellent, about $400, the DG-600 is also very nice. The all-glass 2M and the 3M ASW-28's have a mixed reputation, though.

they are available from Hobby Club http://www.hobbyclub.com/ or Icare http://www.icare-rc.com/discus2b.htm
Old 12-24-2003, 01:25 AM
gunny11
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best 2.5 - 3.0m scale ARF?

I love my 3.2 M pik-20 arf by s2g. Dymond model sport sells them.

Gunny,