Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Northeast Sailplane XL 3200 or Elegant 2

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Northeast Sailplane XL 3200 or Elegant 2

Old 12-14-2003, 11:26 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Northeast Sailplane XL 3200 or Elegant 2

I want to move up to a more advanced and larger EP sailplane and am considering either the XL 3200 or the Elegant 2 from Northeast Sailplanes.

Can anyone share their experiences with either of these sailplanes?

Thank you.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Mike Singels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Northeast Sailplane XL 3200 or Elegant 2

I have had the Elegant II for almost a year now and LOVE it! I used Northeast's recommended Aveox motor system and the climb rate is fantastic. If I ever crash it (God forbid), I'm buying another one. Hope this helps.

Mike Singels
Old 12-20-2003, 11:04 PM
sawdust

Mike thank you for the information.

Can you tell me what type of battery pack you use.

And was the motor installation relatively easy.

Do you have any tips on flying this sailplane?

bob breese
Old 12-21-2003, 01:06 AM
Equest

Bob,

I suggest you call NESP first if you choose the Elegant 2. I placed an order for mine 2 weeks ago and still waiting. I sent an email to Sal with no response. I called last week, and they told me that the order would go out this week. I am not surprised that I am experiencing lack of communication. If you do a search on NESP you will find mixed reactions on this business establishment. I thought I would give you a heads up just in case you choose the Elegant 2. Luckily, I am not in a hurry.

Equest
Old 12-21-2003, 10:36 PM
Mike Singels

I use an eight cell 1700 mah nicad battery and get gobs of flight time out of it. Usually I land long before the battery is exhausted to let others fly. It was simple to install the motor mount in the fuselage. I used a dremel tool and cut the nose off about an eighth of an inch forward of the scribed line. After I had the motor mount glued in place exactly how I wanted it, I trimmed/sanded the fuselage even with the motor mount. The rest was a breeze. Set the sailplane up per the instructions (control throws) and you'll be happy. The sailplane flies very smooth but is plenty responsive if you ask it to be. It needs very little if any rudder coordination when making turns and when you drop the flaps, it doesn't pitch very much. I don't even mix in the elevator with the flaps, I just do it manually with the stick. You will need to set it up with aileron differential. If you have some flight experience (RC), you should have no problems flying this airplane. I dressed my Elegant up by adding some red pin stripping to the wings and elevator. It looks real nice. I was extremely pleased with the quality of my kit (ARF) when it arrived. If you have previous building experience, this ARF won't take you long to have ready to fly.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:31 PM
soholingo

FWIW Hobby Lobby sells the Elegant also....

j
Old 12-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Equest

-FYI-

The Elegant II is now called "Grace" I received mine this week from NESP and she is a beauty. I can't wait to start assembling it.

Equest
Old 12-28-2003, 08:06 PM
J Grav

I would like to add my two cents worth! I have a XL3200, purchased from Helmut at Dymond Model Sports. Wonderful plane. Beautifully built. I didn't order online until I talked to Helmut about which motor and prop to use. Helmut flys one himself and suggested a Phasor 45/3 with 14X9 prop. He also custom made my Kokam 3s6c 1500 pack. (9000mA total at 11.1v) Climbs like a rocket. Can fly all day. Lighter than Ni-cads. Dymond Modelsports has excellent service. My glider package arrived 3 days after ordering it. I have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:34 PM
sawdust

Thank you for the information on the xl 3200 and Dymond. bob