Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Foamie sailplane repairs

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 05:59 PM
adoman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foamie sailplane repairs

Hi everyone,
I have a TG-3 foamie sailplane from Dave's Aircraft works. When I was covering the outboard wing panel the iron melted the foam. The instructions said the heat wouldn't hurt a bit. Anyway it made a huge dip in the leading edge. I can't think of a good way to fix it without adding large amounts of weight. If anyone has any ideas to fix it without adding a lot of weight that would be great. Thanks for your input!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:41 PM
TheAMAZINGNorad

Default RE: Foamie sailplane repairs

Well, I have an idea, but I am not 100% sure it will work. I crashed my paragon a while ago and got some of that balsa filler stuff. Its real light and sands good. IF it will stick to the foam, I suggest filing it up with that, sanding, then cover it but be more carefull With the covering on it should hold it all in and be golden. If not, what about some of that like foam in a can stuff they got at like home depot and lowes? It isnt too heavy, especially if its a small hole. I am thinking of buying the 1-26 Foamie HLG. What do you think of his kit? Good fiit, instructions, quality? Anyways, good luck!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:31 PM
spirit pilot

Would it be possible to remove the damaged area (cut it out),cut a block of foam to fill in the cut out area, and sand to shape?

Just a thought
Old 12-25-2003, 10:03 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adoman,
Spirit pilot had the right idea. just cut out the damaged area, replace with a block of foam and carve/sand to shape. I've done this on several foamies and it works well. Dave usually supplies a good size block of EPP in his kits for just such a use. Use "Goop" glue.

Merry Christmas

Papermache
Old 12-25-2003, 05:56 PM
adoman

Thanks for responding everyone. After I posted the question I came to the same conclusion as spirit pilot. It worked perfectly! For amazingnorad who was wondering about foamies I think they're great. Easy to built, the instructions are great, and they're virtually unbreakable. Thanks again for your input.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:09 PM
mars

Hi! Im in Fairplay. We have a club out of summit county that flys combat.
[link=http://www.super77th.com]super77th[/link]

I think you will find that reshaping will be difficult after its been glued. Make sure it gets shaped first. A tool called a Shur-Form it a great foam shaping tool. Sanding suxors.

Every foamie pilot NEEDS a tube of E-6000 from WalMart. Its in the Arts n Crafts area. Like 2 bucks a tube. Way better then goop.

This product is the BEST adhesive, filler, and instant fix-it for EPP that I have used. Got a rip, hole, dent, or gouge, fix it with this. Just shape the area with your finger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57897.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	85356