Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

V tail Incidence measurement HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

V tail Incidence measurement HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:44 AM
tyrolean_marcus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V tail Incidence measurement HELP!

Good Day All,

I'm using a Great Planes laser incidence meter, and wanting to verify the incidence between the wings and the V tail. Unfortunately the V tail 110 degree angle makes determining the incidence very challenging and inaccurate.

How do I accurately determine the incidence of a V tail using a Great Planes laser incidence meter?

The aircraft is a hollow molded "Dragon" F3B/F3J Sailplane manufactured by Valenta Models in the Czech Republic. I presume that the incidence was correctly established when the molds were machined. However I just want to make sure that the incidence between the wings and the tail is indeed equal.

Cheers,

Marcus
Old 12-26-2003, 02:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: V tail Incidence measurement HELP!

HI MARCUS! I ran into this problem with a Q500 bARF. I ended up " rolling" the plane till it was laying on the corner of it's flat bottomed fuselage, and the ruddervator was level with MOTHER EARTH. If you dont have a flat surface to work with built into the plane's design, tape some scrap foam or wood to the fuselage to give yourself a makeshift zero line. Another method is to fly the plane, trim it for hands off level flight, then decide if you need to cut the stabs loose or just live with a slight error. The correction degrees should be 1/2 of the error degrees between the stabs and control surfaces.