Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Spirit 2M ARF - newbie question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Spirit 2M ARF - newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 02:11 PM
judaho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spirit 2M ARF - newbie question

I'm awaiting delivery of a GP Spirit 2M ARF, and wasn't sure if using standard servos (instead of mini) would make much difference. I've also heard that threading the linkage for the spoilers can be tricky. Any suggestions for setup for this sailplane would be appreciated!
Old 05-20-2002, 02:52 PM
Ollie

Default Spirit ARF

The Spirit accepts full size servos gracefully and you won't be able to tell the difference in how it flies due to the additional ounce or two of weight.

The spoilers will add unnecessary complication for the first time flier. In my opinion, it is better to get the fundamentals down pat before attempting spoilers. The spoilers can be added later if desired. When your reflexes have been trained to control the plane in pitch without having to think about it, you will be better equipped to deal with the nose down attitude that results from deploying spoilers.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:44 PM
chipwillis

With all due respect....

In regards to Ollie's comments regarding spoilers and their usage.

Judaho asked if the spoiler linkage was difficult, not the pros and cons of spoilers.

It was wrong to assume that your prefrences or ideas overide the questions to the aircraft in the first place. Did he mention that he was new to Soaring? NO. He asked specifics.

And while the ideas of learning to fly are valid- this is equally valid. This is assuming the person is new to sailplanes. This is MY rule and it is quite simple. If a plane is spoiler capable, then build them when initially building the plane. Just because they are built, doesnt mean they will be used or have to be used. As the person progressed, then he/she can start using them.

I have seen the other threads about spoiler pro and cons, and Im not going to argue them beyond this- but be careful when answering questions- Remember to answer those questions that were in deed asked.

Its simple. Some people like RES ships, some like full blown CF wonders costing $1000.

The hobby is really about what makes "US" happy- NOT everyone else. There are no wrong opinions- just opinions. Seems people often forget that part.

Bye now.

Chip
Old 05-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Ollie

Default Spoilers

I don't have a Chip on MY sholder.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:24 PM
R. Carver

Judaho asked if the spoiler linkage was difficult, not the pros and cons of spoilers.
Actually he asked for suggestions.

It was wrong to assume that your prefrences or ideas overide the questions to the aircraft in the first place. Did he mention that he was new to Soaring? NO. He asked specifics.
You might want to go back and read the header to the original post- the part in bold print that says "Newbie Question"

And while the ideas of learning to fly are valid- this is equally valid. This is assuming the person is new to sailplanes. This is MY rule and it is quite simple. If a plane is spoiler capable, then build them when initially building the plane. Just because they are built, doesnt mean they will be used or have to be used. As the person progressed, then he/she can start using them.
Keep in mind we are talking about an ARF plane here. It doesn't matter if you add them now or later, the procedure is the same.

I have seen the other threads about spoiler pro and cons, and Im not going to argue them beyond this- but be careful when answering questions- Remember to answer those questions that were in deed asked.
I think Ollie did a great job of answering the question. He gives wonderful advice, and it helped me a great deal when I started. Thanks Ollie!

Its simple. Some people like RES ships, some like full blown CF wonders costing $1000.
Some of us like both

The hobby is really about what makes "US" happy- NOT everyone else. There are no wrong opinions- just opinions. Seems people often forget that part
True indeed!
Old 05-21-2002, 07:43 AM
judaho

Thanks for everyone's feedback! All points well taken.