Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New to sailing, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 04:55 AM
gmebey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to sailing, need advice

I want to get into thermal chasing but have little knowledge of sailplanes. Can anyone tell me a good sailplane in an ARF or RTF form that can high-start and hand launch.

FYI and laugh; Awhile back I was flying my GWS Slow-Stick and found that it would thermal. I was using a 270mAh pack, which is good for 4-5 minutes of flight time. But some how I was able to push it to about 15 minutes........I got the bug of thermal chasing and now I want MORE.

I have years of flying RC electrics and nitro fixed wing birds under my belt and some heli time, so all-in-all I’m not a newbie to flying but am a little lost when it comes to gliders.

Here are some questions that I’m in search of answers for:
1) What is the difference between a sailplane and a glider?
2) What is a good all around plane to start out with? (I want to thermal)
3) What servos and receiver should a person use to keep weight down?
4) What types of aerobatics can a glider do? (I love snap rolls and split “Sâ€)
Old 01-09-2004, 11:29 AM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: New to sailing, need advice

Hi

[/quote]

If u search the forum there is a lot of info about this subject

To answer a few of tyour questions.

1 - Both are the same it is just two words expressing the same thing.

2 - If u want to thermal and to start with the aspire is a good plane it does not cost much and it thermals very well. If u want to go in to Scale a KA6 or a ASK 18 are good gliders to strat with to.

3 - It depends of the size of the plane u want to use. I used from HS 81 up to HS645MG. For 2meters the 81's should do the job on most of your surfaces. 4 meters 85's and 605's should do the job. Batteries is does not realy matter because u have to put lead on the nose to balance the plane so with a bigger batterie pack u save some lead. reciver the same thing in front of the CG saves u lead.

4 - A thermal glider is not built for a aerobatics the max u can do is a smoth loop or roll. If u want to go into aerobatics gliders such as the LO 100, Swift or Fox should do the job but they wont thermal as good. there is always a trade off.

As I said before just check the formu for more info there is plenty available.

Saludos Landi
Old 01-09-2004, 12:30 PM
SoarNeck

ORIGINAL: gmebey
I want to get into thermal chasing but have little knowledge of sailplanes. Can anyone tell me a good sailplane in an ARF or RTF form that can high-start and hand launch.
Proper hand launch gliders are usually 8-12 oz and reasonably fragile, is that really what you're looking for?

Technically - sink rate. Practically - nothing.

How big can you handle? What do you want to spend? The bigger they are, the better they will be able to thermal (most times). I personally wouldn't recommend scale until you have a good idea of how to work lift.

On the low end of things electric, an Eflight (?) Ascent makes for a handy little 60" motorglider for about $60 (US, I think). The top end of the spectrum would be a 3m molded LMR (limited motor run) glider with a big brushless system, but wow, can they thermal! Check out a video a friend made of our models, mine being the v-tail (Eraser F3B converted to electric):

http://www.soarcalgary.com/Multimedia/F5JMedley.wmv

HLG - Hobby Lobby Zip -> Maple Leaf Encore, PolecatAero XP-3

2m - Great Planes Spirit Elite -> Hobby Lobby Whisper, Maple Leaf Image

My choices:

Depends on the size of the model. Micro servos: JR DS281 or MPI MX50HP. Mini servos: Volz Micro Maxx, MPX Royal Mini, Hitec HS85 Wing servos: Volz WingMaxx, MPX wing, Hitec HS125

Recievers: Hitec Electron 6, MPX IPD 7/9

See video. Most full-house (rudder/aileron/elevator) sailplanes good at smooth maneuvers, but they don't usually have the tail volume to permit stall turns and the like (also, no fuse area for knife edge)
Old 01-09-2004, 04:33 PM
TXJB

A real nice "starter" that will hand launch or go up on a lite up-start is the new 1.8M sailplanes from Dream Catcher Hobby.

Check them out.....
Carbon composite, ARF for about $150.00
Old 01-09-2004, 10:21 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gmebey,
For a good solid start in sailplanes, a couple of generations have used the Goldberg Gentle Lady. It now comes in ARF form. For basic learning to thermal you can't beat it. It takes standard size radio gear. You could use mini gear and save a couple ounces, but you'd just put it back in nose weight trying to balance it. It's good off a hi-start and will also hand launch. (never had mine on a winch, but I'm sure it would go) On the slope it handles the lightest breezes and goes when everything else is grounded.
No, it won't to aerobatics beyond a big lazy loop, but if you want that, come out to the slope.

papermache
Old 01-10-2004, 02:51 AM
evlwevl-RCU

Hello,
I second the Gentle Lady or a Dynaflite Wanderer. Ive been flying my GL for almost 6 months now and its a great plane to learn on and just to relax while flying. If your a builder, its a very simple build, I suggest buying the kit and beefing up the wings with carbon fiber thread or strips. Mine is able to handle good strong winch launches when needed without any wing flex. Mine is from one of the first kits made and even though it is a very old and dated design, you cant beat its forgiveness in the air and its a really good looking plane. Its nice and slow and gives you plenty of time to react to most situations. If you end up not enjoying thermalling which I doubt will happen, your investment with the GL will be very minimal.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:02 PM
gmebey

Thanks for the info.

From what I read it looks like I need to decided if I want to thermal or aerobatics..........the taste of a thermal has me looking for more.

I have been reading on a couple of ARFs. 1) the GreatPlanes Spirit Elite and 2) the Dynaflite Bird of Time.

Now I'm to the point I need to learn about Hi-Starts.

How do you size the Hi-Start to the bird?
How do you launch form a Hi-Start, angle, controlling the bird on launch?

I think my LiPos are done charging and the weather is nice.....time to FLY:-)

Again Thanks!
Old 01-10-2004, 08:37 PM
fprintf

Be careful with the Dynaflight BOT - the wing is relatively fragile and with an inexperienced launcher on a histart I would think the wing could be subject to excessive forces. Stay away until you are experienced.

As for the histart questions, all things also answered in a search. Basically you buy a glider that is built for histart or winch launching and it will come with a towhook and instructions how/where to mount it. Once the histart is stretched out you hook the parachute/streamer ring to the towhook, throw the plane firmly straight ahead and the pull of the histart will cause the plane to rotate and gain altitude. In most cases on a well trimmed plane you won't even need your hands on the sticks until the top of the launch and so can focus on throwing the plane.

I too thought I could learn a lot by reading and posting. Then I went to the field where there were glider fliers and I learned *far* more in one afternoon than in several months of reading.

I bet you there are glider fliers in Colorado. I know of several who like to Slermal (slope flying and thermal).
Old 01-10-2004, 09:14 PM
mars

Visit our site and join for emails , when we meet and maps for where. Slope flying out of Summit County. Combat. Slope. Pylon. Hand Launch. etc....
I am currently building a thermal bird. A goldberg electra. I live in Fairplay and have a large valley to thermal. Plan on high starting outta the yard. Give me a shout back or our web site. Learn on epp. Get a Zagi(or similiar wing), and come fly. Cheapest way to learn. If there is any wind youll get HOURS of stick time your frist day out. And be able to fly it again the next day.[link=http://www.super77th.com]super77th[/link]
Old 01-11-2004, 09:02 AM
ronrange
My Feedback: (20)

A good first sailplane would be an Olympic II. It is reasonably priced, sturdy, easy to build, a good trainer and after some experience it will win contests for you.

You can launch either by winch or hi-start. I loved the ones that I had and still have fond memories of them.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:50 AM
fprintf

ORIGINAL: ronrange

A good first sailplane would be an Olympic II. It is reasonably priced, sturdy, easy to build, a good trainer and after some experience it will win contests for you.

You can launch either by winch or hi-start. I loved the ones that I had and still have fond memories of them.
You can buy a new Olympic II at www.skybench.com. Supposedly many of the "fixes" that people used to use to make the plane better are already incorporated into this lasercut kit.

Personally I am saving my pennies for a Big Bird from Skybench. 100" and supposedly one of the nicest thermaling birds around.

Alternatively you can take a look at www.laserartco.com. They have the Sovereign, which has a fiberglass fuselage and thermals very well or the Scepter, a bit larger but with a built up fuse. Both kits have excellent reputations.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:40 PM
gmebey

Default RE: New to sailing, <span class=

Thanks Guys for the advice. Now all I need to do is to decide which plane to go with.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:02 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: New to sailing, <span class=

My first glider/sailplane was a Spirit Select RTF that I just love.

The Spirit Select is completely assembled with all the electronics installed.
It includes a 72 MHZ radio that is single stick. This is very easy to use.
It is branded Hobbico, but it is really a Hitec radio.

Here is a link to the site where I purchased it for $139 complete!
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXVK55**&P=7

Here is a link to the ARF version where you can find links to two product
reviews. If you want to do some building, the ARF is the route, but for an
extra $40, I got the radio and the plane ready to fly. For me that was
perfect.
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1045.html

The plane has spoilers built in the wings, but you don't have to enable them. I did and I love them. They make landing in a small space so easy. You can read about some of the things I am doing with my Spirit here:
http://www.torqueroll.com/forums/for...?s=&forumid=22

This plane has a reputation for being a great thermalling plane. I have had several flights of 20 minutes+ and am looking forward to many more long flights.

I would definitely recommend it.

Sailplanes are wonderful
http://www.********.net/forums/showt...&threadid=5356