Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Will it fly?

Old 01-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Underaged Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will it fly?

I have a glider I'm gonna make it's thermal/hand launch and towline.
Specifacations
Wing span:2 meters
Tail Span: 20com.
Wing legnth: 10cm.
Tail legnth: 5com.
Channels: 3
Total wing area:2200com.
legnth: 90cm
Weight: about one pound
width: 10cm.
Tail: T deisign
Thank you and please e-mail me
Old 01-22-2004, 06:49 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Will it fly?

That's a very odd design. The wing is very narrow. What you describe is shaped much more like a free flight world class towline glider. Normal RC glider design would be to make your wing CHORD (length) about double what you have here.

Your tail is MUCH too small even for use as a free flight model unless the fuselage is very long. And I DO mean VERY long.

T tail is not a good idea as it means the fin has to be very strong, and that means heavy, to avoid it breaking on landings. Better for your first designs to stick to low mounted tails.

If you can find a way to show us a top view sketch (preferably to scale) of what you are planning we can offer more help. For most of us our eye is more calibrated to see problems than our minds so a stack of numbers is often difficult to evaluate directly and quickly.

And kudos on doing your own design. For many of us it's what makes this hobby even better than just flying.
Old 01-22-2004, 08:07 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Will it fly?

Oops, I deleted your picture file post and it took out the others down line.

Try again please. You can't link to a file in your own computer using the [img] command. That is for images you find on the web. Use the Upload Images at the bottom of the reply page to find and point to files on your hard drive to upload.

And if you can please try to keep the file size down to not much more than 60K out of politness to our modem friends.