Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Robbe ASW27

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 09:30 PM
Bill_Jehle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robbe ASW27

A gentleman donated a 3.5 meter Robbe ASW 27 to our club. The directions and the plans only discuss/show a tow release for use with a tug. Does anyone think there would be a problem towing this sailplane up with a winch if we add a tow hook?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:36 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default Robbe ASW27

What does it use for a wing rod/blade?
Old 05-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Bill_Jehle

Default ASW27

Rich,

Steel...looks like about 1/16 by 7/16. Each wing has one embedded. They are 5 inches long (beyond the root) and go into metal channels in the fuse.
Old 05-28-2002, 01:14 AM
soarrich

Default Re: ASW27

Originally posted by Bill_Jehle
Rich,

Steel...looks like about 1/16 by 7/16. Each wing has one embedded. They are 5 inches long (beyond the root) and go into metal channels in the fuse.
That's normal German practice. I had a Multiplex Fiesta SF which had them, and launched off winches without a problem. I have read in English Mags that it's common for them to come through the bottom of the wings though. The blades are strong enough to take the launches, it's the wings that are the weak link, the blades cut through them.

If you put a hook on it, make a imaginary line from the wing blades 30* forward and down to locate the tow hook safely. If you just put it where you would on a normal model it will be to far back because of the height of the scale body.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:52 AM
Bill_Jehle

Default ASW27

Rich,

Thanks for the help, and I appreciate the added info on the hook location. I see what you mean about the blade installation in the wings.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:42 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default no belly hook

I don't think you want a hook in the belly.

Take a look at;

http://www.soaringissa.org/tech_tips..._launching.htm

It's the Scale soaring association and they use 2 hooks on the fuse sides. Gives the layout for everything you need. They also ROG because throwing one of these bug 'uns is asking for major trouble.

I've winch launched a 100" scale sialplane, and that was OK. I'm working on a 4m DG-800, but it has it's own pop-up motor. I have not winch launched anything that big myself.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:10 AM
soarrich

Default Robbe ASW27

The armpit tow hooks are a good idea, but it does involve making up a special launch bridle. The tow hook on the bottom works also, I've launched my 4.2M ASK-21 that way. Your choice.