Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Slope sites near Seattle, WA ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slope sites near Seattle, WA ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:12 PM
Armchair Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slope sites near Seattle, WA ?

I'm looking for pointers to any slope sites near Seattle, Washington.

In particular, I'd like to find some sites on the Eastside of Lake Washington along I-90. I've seen "High Wind" warning signs on I-90 just before the climb to Snoqualmie Pass, so presumably there must be some good sloping sites in that area.

Some of the hard-core Northwest sloping sites are enumerated elsewhere on the web, but in general these sites are several hours away from the Seattle area. I'm trying to track down less ambitious locations (within 30-45 minutes from Lake Washington), including berms and the slopes next to reservoirs, etc.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Soar_dude

Default RE: Slope sites near Seattle, WA ?

Hey Armchair

check SASS [link]http://www.reddata.com/sass[/link] they have a list of all the ggod sites around the east side of puget sound. I have a couple of good sites when the wind is blowing out of the north west and some decent sites when the wind is blowing out of the southwest here at Whidbey Island.

Soar Dude
Old 01-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Armchair Bronco

Thanks for the feedback. I was already familiar with this website but am glad you posted a link for folks in the Puget Sound region who may also be interested in "primo" soaring locations.

Unfortunately, most of the site listed are a *minimum* of 90 minutes from Seattle/Bellevue; some are more than 3-1/2 hours away. These are just too far away for me to be able to hope in the Subaru for a hour or two or sloping.

I'm still looking for a modest site somewhere along I-90. If the wind kicks up next weekend, I may even sneak into the field at the top of the Issaquah Plateau as this site is littered with 20-25 foot berms in all directions. (Too bad the gravel pit cliff is off limits.) I'll plead ignorance if someone in authority tracks me down.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:57 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Is Bellingham too far away??