Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

vario

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 02:35 PM
ejbjh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vario

Hi, ollie; I am fairly new in sailplanes and I know most people don't recommend using varios
or sniffers, however I only have one eye and I'm thinking with out the depth perception
it is harder for me to detect the planes response when entering rising air. Trouble is , I cannot
find a unit available in the US. I begged Thommys to send me one but they would not do it
because of frequency issue. I believe Multiplex makes one but I cannot find it on their website.
Can you help me out. Thanks ejbjh.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Ollie

Default Varios

ejbjh,

Depth perception due to binocular vision is ineffective beyond 50 feet or so. Having one eye will not affect your ability to thermal except that the lack of redundency may give you trouble on very long flights. I often fly with one eye shut to give the other a rest.

Thermalling near the limits of vision, particularly directly overhead is a lot easier with a variometer. So is managiing not to get sucked out of sight by that killer thermal.

I may still have an old ACE Thermal Sniffler. If you are interested in purchasing such a thing let me know and I will dig it out and see if it still works.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:53 PM
ejbjh

Default vario

OLLIE: Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that depth perception from binocular
vision was limited to 50' ft. or so. That is great news to me, as I hope to do some competition
flying, and feared it would be a serious handicap. As for the Ace sniffler ( is it sniffer or sniffler)
I am interested, but no nothing about it. Being older, is it heavier than newer ones and how effective was it
for you ? Please don't go to a lot of trouble digging it out. With your information, it may not be as
important to me as before. Thanks again, you made my day !! ejbjh