Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Its here now what

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
upinya
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its here now what

Ok I got my Spectra select RTF today the wings and fuse have some wrinkles in them I have ordered a heat gun and iron but before I turn this plane into goo with all the heat please advise on how to use these tools. Thanks
Old 01-29-2004, 02:21 AM
evlwevl-RCU

Default RE: Its here now what

I have a few planes with both open structure and sheeted wings. They develop wrinkles every now and again so I simply use both tools to smooth them out where needed. For reducing sags or wrinkles in rib/spare type wings, you might try the heat gun first on lower setting first just to get the feel for it. You want to pass the heat in a general area of the wrinkle while continuing to move the gun then pull the gun away and look for the monokote to shrink back in place. What you want to avoid is warping the wing by pulling the monokote too tight so recheck the straightness of the wing. Do this several times to pull wrinkles out. If you get too close with the gun, or stay in one area too long, you will burn a hole right through so be careful and make sure you can see what the monokote is doing as it cools. Its better to tighten up the coating little by little rather then trying to do it in one pass. I also use the iron at anywhere from 1/2 - 3/4 setting with the sock to seal the edges of the LE and TE so they dont pull off as Im tightening down the center of the wing, or I may use it to smooth down wrinkles on the sheeted areas. Try using the cooler settings first and test to see if its hot enough to get teh monokote to shrink. Using a sock will require a little more temperature but it will reduce the chance of denting the sheeting underneath the monokote. Other then that, working with monokote is a fairly simple procedure that can be an art form, but it just takes practice. Just pay attention to what your doing, check your heat and watch what the 'kote is doing and you'll be a pro in no time. I've monokoted 6 planes so far and its my favorite part of the finishing process.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:42 AM
upinya
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks evlwevl, Very helpful info.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:24 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What confused me at first was that when you use the heat gun, the covering seems to wrinkle more. However, when it cools, a few seconds, the wringles start to fade and the covering is tighter than it was.

You need to use high heat from about 6 inches, but as noted above, you don't sit on one spot for more than a second or two. As the wrinkles form you "push" them with the air to one place. It is hard to describe.

There are lots of books on workign with monokote and other coverings. I would recommend the Harry Higley books. I think he has one on ARFs. That might be your best place to go. They usually have a yellow cover and have TONS of photos. His books are THE BEST!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:28 AM
flybaby747

you lazy people , why do you think they invented the brain , get a plan build your own rc glider , even if it takes you a year at least you know how to do these things , i recomend buying a kit if its your first glider as you will be able to appreciate the finer qaulities of the hobby , like ajaer did by getting a kit afterwards , then you will know how to iron out wrinkles , god damn use a house iron ,{heat=shrink] but dont go over nylon setting as most rtf films are lighter than what youd buy in shop

[:@]god damn it another hobbyist going the rightously trained flying ritual
Old 02-29-2004, 06:42 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: flybaby747

you lazy people , why do you think they invented the brain , get a plan build your own rc glider , even if it takes you a year at least you know how to do these things , i recomend buying a kit if its your first glider as you will be able to appreciate the finer qaulities of the hobby , like ajaer did by getting a kit afterwards , then you will know how to iron out wrinkles , god damn use a house iron ,{heat=shrink] but dont go over nylon setting as most rtf films are lighter than what youd buy in shop

[:@]god damn it another hobbyist going the rightously trained flying ritual
Flybaby747,

Seems you are in the hobby of building and modeling. Some of us are in the hobby of RC flying. You like to build. We like to fly.

Now, if this person had purchased a kit, how would they suddenly know how to use covering tools? They wouldn't, but somehow I feel you probably would feel that was OK.

So, why is that different from getting an ARF and asking the same question?

I have heard this "finer part of the hobby" arguement before. That's your hobby, but not everyone who enjoys flying models enjoy's building them, and you don't have to build from a kit to learn how to repair.

I repaired cars for years and somehow I never built one from a kit.

I respect your enjoyment of building. You should respect those of us, myself included, who are not especially interested in that aspect of the hobby. I bought the kit for spare parts and that is exactly how it is being used.

Will I ever build a plane from a kit? Maybe, if it ever starts to interest me, but for now, I would rather be flying than gluing stick together.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:23 AM
flybaby101

hi ajear , i was just stating as for someone to get a better understandingof rc planes it is better to build them first , thats how i learnt to fly also this saves alot of hard earned money and in some cases it takes longer but the results are worth it , sometimes i too go and buy an rtf just to get a quick fix , but truly ive found the models i build myself fly better , because ive worked on them from the ground up, just from my personal experience its a better way of not just making a model but understanding the bits and peices that make it work , i hope i didnt offend you as i liked the spirit you did so much i ordered a plan and im going to make one this winter for the up coming spring season , also i was wondering what type of glider you have now as this is my latest baby , with clear {yes absolutely} clear covering.... its called malachi {the ghost} its a res model and ill have some flying shots once tested at the slope

also goto www.angelwingsrc.tk this is my buisness and if you want anything just ask on my e-mail [email protected]

because i have only started payment must be received prior to shipping

cheers

dug

sorry about going off b4 i just didnt see the forum the right way
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95047.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	106190  
Old 02-29-2004, 10:13 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: flybaby101

hi ajear , i was just stating as for someone to get a better understandingof rc planes it is better to build them first , thats how i learnt to fly also this saves alot of hard earned money and in some cases it takes longer but the results are worth it , sometimes i too go and buy an rtf just to get a quick fix , but truly ive found the models i build myself fly better , because ive worked on them from the ground up, just from my personal experience its a better way of not just making a model but understanding the bits and peices that make it work , i hope i didnt offend you

dug

sorry about going off b4 i just didnt see the forum the right way
Dug,

I was not offended because I am now personally immune, having been bombarded by this line of thinking so many times before. But so many aspiring flyers have been turned off by the idea that you have to be a modeler before you can be a flyer. Nonsense!

A beginner came to the forum for help. That is what they should get, help and encouragement. Thanks for taking the time to see that.

Good luck with your new venture. I will check out the link.

You asked what fly. Today I fly the Sprit 2M RES, a Sagitta 600 and am about to launch an Airtronics Legend 3 Meter. I did not build any of them, though I spent a lot of time paying the penalty for my bad winch launching on the Spirit.

In July I hope to fly in a Sailplane contest with the Legend.

upinya,

This is your thread!

Ask your questions. We will try to help you.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:40 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Back to the topic at hand. I would suggest losing the bolt on rudder assembly and making it permanent . In doing so you will wind up strengthening the the tail of the plane. I had several failures at this point with the rtf. I wound up glassing the last 6" of the fuselage.
Old 02-29-2004, 11:12 PM
aeajr

Here are the books and the methods I used to cover my major repair on my Spirit

Covering R/C Airplanes
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

I saw him cover a wing at the Recent Wram show. He was amazing. I learned so much from watching this simple Demo.

Get this book, and his second book on coverin and use them as your guide. This man is the master.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:20 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: upinya

Ok I got my Spectra select RTF today the wings and fuse have some wrinkles in them I have ordered a heat gun and iron but before I turn this plane into goo with all the heat please advise on how to use these tools. Thanks

How is your Spectra coming along?
Old 03-05-2004, 08:53 AM
mhmitchell

Be aware that you can shrink too much and add warps to wings and stabs.
As was stated you could use a household iron.

I feel you have more control with the sealing iron (be ure to use a "boot, mitten or whatever ) to prevent scratches.

Just lightly touch the monocoat and move it back and forth until wrinkles are gone, be sure to stop and move the iron away every couple of passes.

If you induce a warp twist the wing to correct while heating it with the iron or heat gun. Check opposite side for wrinkles afterward.

As for ARF vs kit Well I can't afford either one so I build from scratch. Am I a purist "? NO!

I just cant justify 300 or 400 dollars on an already obsolete (contest wise) model.