Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Thinking about the SIG Ninja (or similar)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Thinking about the SIG Ninja (or similar)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 05:31 PM
brewcider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about the SIG Ninja (or similar)

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Sig doesn't have instructions posted on their website, so I don't know how long it'd take to build the Ninja. After spending dozens of hours building my last plane (Tower's Fun .51), I want to spend time flying and not building. I am looking for something fast building or an ARF that is less than $150. I'm looking for a sloper that moves and I'm considering some of the combat wings too. The glider needs to have ailerons and not be a flat bottom. If this helps, my all-time favorite glider was the Bob Martin Coyote (I wish I still had that). I found a picture of it on the web...
http://www.houseofthud.com/rc/hangar/coyote1.jpg

Thanks,
Travis
Old 02-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinking about the SIG Ninja (or similar)

The Ninja is a relatively easy build.
Sheeting the foam wing takes most of the time, but is a simple process.
Fuselage is a box, tails are sheets.
The end result is a good airplane.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:37 PM
mars

Box fuse, sheeted foam wing. Everyone builds at there own speed. So..... But the Ninja is sweet. My buddy has built 2. Very nice slope flier.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:40 AM
bjaffee

Another to consider...

The FUN from www.soaringspecialties.com. Costs $99-125 (depending on whether you get the presheeted wings option). The fuse is fairly tough fiberglass, so while it's not an ARF, there's probably a lot less work then there is on a Ninja.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:48 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

brewcider,
The NInja is a great sloper. It builds quick and easy and flies like a dream. You really can't do better for the money.

papermache
Old 02-05-2004, 05:53 PM
brewcider

Wow, a lot of good things said about the Ninja, I may have to buy it! I'll have to go back to the hobby shop and see if they'll let me open the box. It was shrink wrapped last time I saw it.

One last question, is there anything weak or fragile on the Ninja? Where I fly I usually have to land in bushes.... no grass, just thick bushes. Sometimes my gliders will fall out of the bushes and fall a couple feet onto the dirt. My 2x4 holds up pretty good.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 02-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Tall Paul

Fragile?
Only the fuselage.
It -WILL- break at each and every notch in the sides which the former slot into.
The next fuselage you make, leave out the notches.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:47 PM
maherrpca

I saw a Ninja plow into a chain link fence with no damage whatsoever, they are tough and stout. Beefy! When you are done call Tall Paul out in Palmdale and you can Ds it at Parker!!Yahoo.I love Parker Mt!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:55 PM
evlwevl-RCU

I've seen the ninja in flight back at Temple Hill and its nice and fast. I'd say go for it and line the inside of the fuse from front to back with fiberglass, maybe about 2-4 oz or so. I did that with my Talon and it really made it strong and allowed it to take a typical rocky sloped landing when your trying to find that perfect little spot to lay it down. I may have to get a ninja at some point as well
Old 02-06-2004, 10:03 AM
SeditiousCanary

ORIGINAL: brewcider
One last question, is there anything weak or fragile on the Ninja? Where I fly I usually have to land in bushes.... no grass, just thick bushes. Sometimes my gliders will fall out of the bushes and fall a couple feet onto the dirt. My 2x4 holds up pretty good.
Ever considered a drag chute?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We dogfight ninjas. Plane to plane, no rules. They rock. They are a fun plane to fly too. Stong as heck unless you dork them really hard. I could build one in 2 nights ready to cover, but it depends on how you build. The fuse should really not take more than an hour to 2 to have framed up and ready to go if you have built a lot of planes. If you have just built a few, then it will take maybe an evening. Sheeting the wing is the longest as stated, but that goes quick too. They are a fun plane.

Catch it instead of landing in trees, just don't do it down wind.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:34 PM
brewcider

Thanks everyone for the replies. I bought the Ninja yesterday and a CombatWings EX2. I just had to have both

I was reading through the instructions and they mention fiberglassing the outside front part of the fuselage. That would probably make the covering look crappy. evlwevl mentioned fiberglassing the inside. Has anyone done this?

One last question, has anyone done the optional rudder? If it matters about the radio setup, I have a Futaba standard 7-channel receiver with a cube (not flat) battery. I plan to use micros for the rudder and elevator (I happen to have two in my drawer), and a standard servo for the ailerons.

Thanks,
Travis
Old 02-11-2004, 03:38 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can fiberglass the outside with light cloth, fill with red devil spackle, really light weight, and then cover and it looks great.

I like it better with rudder, but flew more without than with. Either way is a blast.
Glassing inside would have to be done before you put on formers or your wasting your time. I would glass outside. Makes it better. Do the whole fuse in 1/2 oz cloth and paint it if you want.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:52 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I'm gonna slap a Norvel .074 on the nose of mine and see what it does (not many slopes in mid Michigan).