Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Oly II from Sky Bench

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 12:21 AM
tunabiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oly II from Sky Bench

A while back, after folding the wings winching my first attempted Oly II, I ordered a replacement from Ray Hayes at Sky Bench. WHen I started to build, I quickly realized the procedure had changed and I was unsure how to proceed. WHile Ray apologized for his incomplete directions, it doesn't help me a lot. I have made several planes that look and fly pretty well, but I'm really a cook-book builder...follow instructions to the letter.

Can someone help with (first) the wing construction of this Oly II? I don't want to ruin it...the first one flew great, just my screw up.

Rather than go through my questions, I simply ask if someone out there has the patience to walk me through a bunch of basics. I would really like to get familiar with the plane and use a hi-start rather than winching it. Should be a great trainer.

I'm in Orange County CA...does any particular store know this model (Gyro doesn't know a lot about it).

Thanks for any help.

Bill
Old 02-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Pud
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oly II from Sky Bench

Hi Bill,
I built an Oly II back when Airtronics first came out with it...mid 70's.
At the time, it was my very first RC model also.
I just built it according to the directions,(not sure about Ray's version..should be similar) and flew it for several years.That sailplane taught me about thermals and lift, and I got to know it VERY well...had many, MANY 2+ hour thermal flights with it, probably one of the best ships ever made for a person to learn how to soar with.
What specific questions do you have?
A lot of what goes into building a rc airplane really depends on good workmanship...make sure all joints are tight, use ENOUGH(but not too much)glue on joints, etc.
Also, I learned early on, that sandpaper, (and the right type!)makes the difference between a so-so job, and a show winning job.
Be glad to help the best I can, but,again, I have not built Skybench version..but feel free to ask anyway! [8D]

Pud
Old 02-14-2004, 12:26 AM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Oly II from Sky Bench

I am not familiar with the Sky Bench kit, but I did build 4 or 5 of these 'back in the day'. Great trainer and a decent RES model - I won the Sr. Modified Standard champs at the '79 NATS with one, and a fair number of other contests with it before I switched to the Aquila and Aquila Grande.

I fly Jets these days and don't monitor the Glider forum often, but feel free to Email or PM me with any questions.

Barry