Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

wing tip ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 01:59 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing tip ailerons

Am just about finished with my stock Sailaire and am thinking of bashing a second set of wings. I am planning on adding 12" to each inboard panel to bring the wing span to 173". I was wondering if wing tip ailerons would be beneficial? Say about 9" long. Or am I just wasting my time and money with a poly platform.
Old 02-19-2004, 09:15 PM
averen

Default RE: wing tip ailerons

I'm not firmiliar with the Sailaire...but if it's supposed to be flown RES then you might run into some problems when you go to add the ailerons.

While ailerons will work on this plane they won't be as effective as a plane designed for them with a flatter wing. When you put ailerons on a poly ship you get some roll motion but quite a bit more yaw than you would on a regular aileron ship.

Hope this is helpful

Averen
Old 02-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

Hi

Be carefull in increasing the wing span with out changing elevator and ruder size. You might run into a problem not doing that.

Landi
Old 02-21-2004, 02:05 AM
kamakasi

Landi,
I have considered the sizes of the stab and rudder. The stab is a full flying stab measuring 33"wide x 8.5" avg. cord the rudder is equally massive. But I am still going to check with my sailplane design book to make sure. The rudder post is 40" aft of the c/g which should still provide adequate response. Thanks for the concern.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Landi

Hi

I was just thinking and I had a pargon about 190" with poly wings and I had the same idea of putting airlerons and I did go trough the whole exercise and but about 15 " x 2" airlerons on it. To tell u the truth I was disapointed with the results very slow i the responce and would work only well using the ruder so why do that if u have to use ruder anyway.

Saludos

Thomas
Old 02-24-2004, 04:00 AM
kamakasi

Your point is well taken. I think I'll just stretch the wings.

Joe
Old 02-24-2004, 12:44 PM
SeditiousCanary

Related question...

I'm designing a sailplane with a 74 inch wingspan and was planning on 15" long x1.5" chord ailerons. Do any of you think this will be enough/too much/just right?
Old 02-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Landi

@SeditiousCanary

I think u are going to just fine. This will be about 50% of your wingspan so if it gets to snapy u can always but less throw on it and use negative exponential on your computer radio.

Saludos

Landi
Old 02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
SeditiousCanary

Excellent. Thanks Landi.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Harvard

Ailerons on a glider should be set up so that the drooping aileron travel is less than the one is raised. The drooped aileron will have more drag and can actually cause the plane to go in the opposite direction you would like it to go. So, set the differential to about half and try it. I just added them to a GP Spirit but is still to cold to fly.

Harvard
Old 02-24-2004, 07:12 PM
Jim Finn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25 years ago I put a .10 motor on an Olympic II glider and it flew well. I made a set of wings for it with no polyhedral and ailerons. Just barely turned! Flew it only once!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:20 AM
Landi

@ Harvard

U got a good point. I forgot to mention the diefferential settings. The main reason u use diefferential is to devrease the turbulence under the wing. On the top of the wing u want a turbulent airflow this is why sometimes u use turbulators and on the bottom u want a laminar flow so its sustains your plane better. Here in Florida we been flying all winter long

@SeditiousCanary

I hope u have a computer radio to set the diefferential. u could uses even lessthan 50 %. I normally use about 25% of the throw up. But just start with 50 and go from there.

Saludos Landi
Old 02-25-2004, 01:54 PM
SeditiousCanary

Man, I'm months away from that. I don't have a radio yet and I haven't finished building my first plane in 15 years. I haven't even finished designing the glider yet. Good to know though. I appreciate the information and hope I remember it when it becomes important.