Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Buzzard 144

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 12:24 PM
OldFlatToad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buzzard 144

Early sixtys kit by Fox. Big boxy fuse with lots of stringers, elliptical tail surfaces, long undercambered sorta Minimoa wing.

Anyone ever heard of it?

Got plans?

Old Flat Toad
Look for me along the road[:-]
Old 02-21-2004, 10:03 PM
kingbee

Default RE: Buzzard 144

I saw a kit for one on eBay about 6 months ago. I'd never heard of it before that. Big and boxy is an understatement! Looked like it was designed by a power flyer, which I guess it was. Plenty of room for old radios though

Best of luck finding one.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-22-2004, 04:34 AM
linclogs

There have been several on "fleabay" in the past 6 months, including one that ended in the past 2 weeks.

This kit came out in the 60's and they actually had two versions - the Buzzard 144 (for 144" wingspan) and a Buzzard 54. I built the 54" version as a kid and it was built exceptionally light and flew very well.

The big one DOES look heavy. I saw one of the kits at my LHS as a kid and remember it looked like a lumber yard in the box. But maybe the actual wing loading was light, considering all that weight was spread out over a 12 foot wingspan! One thing I recall was that it had "wing rudders" - actual small rudders that stuck up out of the top of the wings, out towards the ends (instead of ailerons). Was supposed to provide for very flat turns. Often wondered how effecive they may have been.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:21 AM
OldFlatToad

Found one! Thanks guys. I don't recall it being as butt ugly as the picture though.[sm=bananahead.gif]