Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Good Sailplane radio? Eclipse or 6102?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Good Sailplane radio? Eclipse or 6102?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 05:11 PM
jzaehring1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Sailplane radio? Eclipse or 6102?

I'm trying to decide on a computerized radio, for my current two sailplanes plus plenty of growth.
Basically the most complex glider I could envision myself flying would have flaps, individual ailerons, elevator, rudder, and ESC. Thus the crow feature would be nice. I'll never fly a helicopter, but might enjoy a park flyer or two.

I'm trying to decide between JR's new 6102 ($249 complete) and the Hitec Eclipse 7 ($260 w/o Spectra).

Couple of questions...
1. JR's channels 5-6 have only a single throw switch (like a gear retract). Is this a detriment when using flaps/crow compared to the Eclipse proportional knobs? Or is it easier to have one easily accessible flap/spoiler setting? I'm also looking at a DLG with full length ailerons that are supposed to be able to act like spoilerons or flaperons. Is this possible on the 6102?

2. If I do decide on the Hitec, is it worth the extra $65 for the Spectra Module? I am purchasing new receivers for all of my planes anyway (currently AM :-), what does the Spectra module get me other than cool factor?

Any other comments?

Thanks for your help...
Old 02-22-2004, 05:22 PM
Soar_dude

Default RE: Good Sailplane radio? Eclipse or 6102?

Eclipse 7 I would go with the speactra and get a bigger battery for it the stock battery with the spectra does not last long. I have a eclipse 7 with out spectra but I got a good deal on it at the time. If you buy it without spectra it is no big deal to buy the Spectra Synth later. the radio has all the functions needed to fly a full house glider no problems. If you are planning on using the eclipse for DLG then I would get a rubber duck antenna the stock Eclipse antenna is huge! Hitec's customer support is awesome you got a problem send it they fix it no cost.

Soar Dude
Old 02-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Landi
My Feedback: (1)

hi

I would go with the 8ups or the new 9C from futaba both are very good radios. the 9c has the advantage of giving u almos unlimited programming cabability and switch assignement nd also a very nice feature are the 2 sliding switchs on both sides wich will enable u to go in to crow or flaps or controll your esc without having to take one hand of to move the center knobs.

Saludos

Landi
Old 02-23-2004, 11:23 AM
maherrpca

Hitec eclipse is a good radio for the money.Two of my friends have them and they love it, they both fly full house sailplanes, gas, and electrics. I myself have the Futaba super 8, but it is a little more dough.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:56 AM
jzaehring1

I'm sure it's an AWESOME radio, but the 9C is WAAAAYYYY out of my price range.

I'm looking for a radio for around $200-$260 max.

So far the Eclipse is beating the 6102 hands down due to the proportional controls (knobs) for channels 5-6 on the Hitec Eclipse 7.

Thanks for all your advice!!
Old 02-23-2004, 12:13 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I have the eclipse 7 radio and love it. I purchased this radio after a thief broke into my garage and stole all of my other transmitters. I bought this radio because of the ability to switch shifts from positive to negative. This feature allows you to use any brand of reciever with this radio. Futaba and Hitec are on one shift and Airtronics and JR are on the other shift. the spectra module will give you the ability to use any channel from 11 to 60 without having to switch crystals in the radio. It is a nice feature and worth the extra money.

Rick
Old 02-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Landi

hi

this is one thing I dont uderstand why a lot of guys have 150 recivers with diefferent chanels. I c it all the time at the field the quys bring out 4 radios, hello u need one good radio and all recivers on the same chanel u cant fly 2 planes at the same time anyway.

@ jzaehring1

The 9C is not very expensive if u buy as a single unit in other words no servos and reciver. The 8ups u can find @ e-bay for less than $200.

Saludos

Landi
Old 02-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Soar_dude

the story on having more then one transmitter for the wet power guys it is cheaper to buy a whole system then to go out and buy individual components or a flight pack. some guys do not like computer radios "Strange as it seems!" because they are to complicated.they are also worried that when they are out at the field with a computer radio they might have the radio switched to the wrong model. look at the price of Hitec Focus 4 and the price of a Hitec standard flight pack it is only a few dollars difference.

Soar Dude
Old 02-23-2004, 02:51 PM
Landi

@ Soar Dude

Yeah but just the pain in the butt to have to set the trims evry time I go flying when using a std. radio would make up for not knowing how to program and any way u should always make a preflight check to make sure that all your functions are good and by the way on the screen is the name of the current model so where is the prob.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:29 PM
zero244

Check out the new Futaba 7C..........at towerhobbies........great radio, great price.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:56 AM
KLRico

I have a JR 6102 and you can use it to do crow mixing, but you have to do a combination of mixes on the radio. I have one switch activate the ability to crow mix with the throttle stick. I fly helicopters, power planes, and sail planes, and for the price i'm totally happy with the 6102.