Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gentle Lady Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:03 PM
smoking joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gentle Lady Spoilers

What rib should I start spoilers from and end. I wanted to use the simple T/E stock and what size would you recommend. Smoking Joe
Old 03-07-2004, 02:12 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gentle Lady Spoilers

Were I to do another GL wing, I'd add spoilers about like those on the GP Spirit.
They'd be made of 1/8" soft balsa, 1" chord, 3-bay span, outboard end 1 bay in from the poly break.
Kevlarâ„¢ thread to pull open, small gumband to close.
A mini servo has more than enough grunt, as the airlow over the wing has relatively little force at GL speeds.
The movement.. I use a 3-position switch on the several planes I have spoilers on.. closed, 1/2 open and full open. 1/2 open is more than enough to bring them down.
Dr. Drela OTOH on his competitive 2Ms uses enormous spoilers, 28"x1-1/2" on the Allegro_E_Lite for instance, but his wings are seriously stronger than the GL and he competes in the upper echelons where getting down NOW is important.
The support structure: extend the leading edge sheeting to the dihedral break.
Add the shear webs shown in another thread, and put the spoilers aft of the l.e. sheeting.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:24 PM
smoking joe

Tall Paul. Where do I find the thread on the shear webs and sheeting, also I'm making this a 3 piece wing, although my flying field is next door, I drive a Pulsar any may go else where to fly. Thanks for all your help. Smoking Joe
Old 03-07-2004, 06:44 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

I'm in agreement with Tall Paul. Except that I would use 1" trailing edge stock. I you let the leading edge of the stock stand tall about 1/32" you can sand it to the airfoil without losing any stiffness. I also use a small spring attached to the leading of the wing to pull the spoiler closed. This way I never have a rudder band to replace. The reason you want to hold he spoiler closed is that if you wind up with a tear in the bottom of your covering it can produce a positive pressure inside the wing thus forcing the spoiler open.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Tall Paul

It's the "hinging rudder & elevator on Gentle Lady" thread here..
Old 03-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Tall Paul

Because the spar in the GL and Electra wing interfere with the usual set-forward of the spoiler, this method will work for these to permit the maximum up deflection..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45600.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	109165  
Old 03-12-2004, 12:13 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have a GL but I do have GP Spirit and a Sagitta 600, both with spoilers. I will post some photos that might be helpful.

Both have the spoilers set at the back of the spar, where the sheeting ends.

These photos are of the Sagitta. I have these connected by strings to a single servo, Hitec HS-81, in the fuse.

Name:	Ki20647.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	110555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62220.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	110556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62020.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	110557   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha79644.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	110558  
Old 03-12-2004, 12:29 AM
aeajr

These shots are of the Spirit. In the Spirit I have servos in the wings operating the spoilers.

Name:	Db85611.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	110563   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86341.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	110564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13996.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	110565  
Old 03-12-2004, 05:42 AM
smoking joe

aeajr the pics of the spirit will help that is my next project they appear to be 3 bays long and 1" te stock smoking joe
Old 03-12-2004, 08:59 AM
aeajr

The spoilers in the Spirit are 3 bays by 1 1/4 inches operated by servos. They only open to about 60 degrees because the arms on the servos are very short. However that is adequate to set the Spirit down. It is a floater, like the GL. I don't fly it in competition.

I originally put them in to help me get out of strong thermals as I almost lost the plane once during an early flight. The spoilers would help me pull out of strong lift.

The Sagitta spoilers are string operated and go full 90 degrees. The Sagitta is a faster plane so the extra angle helps. I might fly this one in competition. I have never seen the spoilers open on a launch but I could see how that could happen. The only thing holding them closed is a 1/4 oz weight on the spoiler, and airflow. I have looped the plane during pop-offs on launches and have not noticed the spoilers opening in this situation, but I suppose it could happen.

Frankly I found the strings easier to balance than the servos as both planes have the spoilers on one channel. They both work just fine. Between the weight on the spoiler lid in the Sagitta, and the servos in the Spirit I figure the string method is similar in weight to the servos in the wings as those servos are about 1/4 oz.

These links are to discussions on spoilers in the Spirit that you may find useful.

http://rclibrary.com/viewtopic.php?p=127#127

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=1375310

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&goto=newpost
Old 03-12-2004, 09:06 AM
aeajr

This link is to a photo series by a person adding spoilers to a wing.

http://66.55.23.12/gallery/spoilers1/index.html

This is an article on spoilers
http://www.skybench.com/report/spoilers.html

Good luck with your project. We would love to hear progress reports. Perhaps you can take some pictures along the way and post them so your learning can help others.
Old 03-12-2004, 02:18 PM
Bumstead

Tall Paul, your avatar says California but, you must have spent some time in Pittsburgh
Gumband...that's so burg like.
Never heard it anywhere else