Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Mounting Master Airscrew 3:0:1 Flightpack on a Spectra

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Mounting Master Airscrew 3:0:1 Flightpack on a Spectra

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 12:43 AM
Reachforthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting Master Airscrew 3:0:1 Flightpack on a Spectra

Sorry it seems like im cluttering the forums with similar posts..

I purchased this master airscrew flight pack for my spectra http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ903&P=7

Has anyone used this setup? and have any documentation or illustration on how to mount this setup on the spectra? I'm just looking to be sure how to do this so i do not screw my plane up Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Old 03-19-2004, 01:08 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Default RE: Mounting Master Airscrew 3:0:1 Flightpack on a Spectra

Just looked at the details below the add... Did they quit including the capacitors and diode? when I bought mine they were in a little bag with the instructions.

If no capacitors and diode.. you will want to get them. (they are inexpensive... just a couple of $ at Radio Shack and they overcharge for them.)
Old 03-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Reachforthesky

What are they for?
Old 03-19-2004, 09:05 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The capacitors should already be on the motor. The referenced diode is typically supplied with the spead controller.

I will send you my instruction sheet on how to mount the unit. I will try to do that tonight.

bob breese
Old 03-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Reachforthesky

wow thanks a lot
Old 03-19-2004, 09:01 PM
Reachforthesky

sorry i didn't mean what are the capacitors for.. I know what they are i mean what is the diode for? there is one on my speed controller that blinks when the motor is ready to turn.. plus i have a ton of them sitting on my workbench.. I am thinking about wiring a few on the edges of the wingtips for when it gets dark.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:10 AM
FHHuber
Banned

The schotkey diode is a power conservation device. It will increase the time your motor will run on a full charge. Something about the way the commutator and capacitors work... the diode reroutes power out of the capacitors back to the motor.

Its not a light emitting diode. Its a black cylinder with a silver stripe and a wire sticking out each end.

The correct "value" of the diode depends on the motor, capacitors and not the speed controller... I have 3 ESC's and none came with the diodes. The Master Airscrew 3.0:1 drive kit and one other motor I bought came with the diodes. (I had to locate my own diode for use with my GWS 2 amp ESC and tiny GWS geared motor power system...)
Old 03-20-2004, 08:26 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is how I mounted the same unit to my Aspire.

The gear box is attached to the motor with 2 screws. Take out the 2 screws and mount the unit to the original motor mount firewall using the same 2 screws. I did not have to modify the engine mount. But because of the gear offset you may have to slightly modify the nose of the Spectra. I am not familiar with the Spectra. I did have to cut away some of the nose on the Aspire. I did reinforce the outside of my mount with fiberglass. Depending on the thickness of your firewall, you may need longer screws to remount the unit. If so make sure they are not too long and go through and damage the motor.

Now here is the critical part. Once you get the unit mounted to your liking, unmount the unit and take it apart. That is remove the front of the gear box. Now remount the unit. Want you are looking for is how well the gears mess. The thickness of the firewall will affect the messing of the gears. You will probably need to move the pinion gear out a bit on the motor shaft. I did this the first time by prying with a screw driver. This is definitely not the best method and I have since bought a gear puller. Yes the spending never ends. I got by with the screw driver method the first time. But I not not recommend it. Once the gears are properly messed, put a drop of locking compound at the front of the pinion. Then reassemble the unit and remount it.

If the gears are properly messed you will get much much longer gear life. Even so, the gears will eventually wear out and will need to be replaced. At that point you will need a gear puller for the pinion gear.

If you check the masterairscrew.com site you will see that the capacitors are already on the motor. The diode mentioned in other posts is not supplied with the unit. The diode is not absolutely necessary on brushed motors. But the capacitors are extemely important.

Note there is a Master Airscrew aluminum motor mount available. Tower has it.

After I crashed my Aspire and destroyed the entire nose, I rebuilt the nose and used a precut wood motor mount. In fact I used 2 to double the strength of the mount.

I hope this information helps.

bob
Old 03-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Reachforthesky

My motor mount looks like the number 2 on a dice... I don't see how the shaft of the gearbox is going to line up like the origional prop unless its supposed to me mounted offset.. or the mounting plate mounts to the origional holes and has higher holes to compensate for the offset somehow? A picture of it mounted on an aspire or spectra would probably shed some light on my doubts.. I hooked it up on the factory motor outside the plane and turned it on though and it really pulls so i think i'll be happy with the result as soon or if ever i get it finished I cut small vent holes in the nose which I have the feeling I will be chopping out anyway... also the instructions on the gearbox said to ream out the pinion gear a bit and put CA or locking compound on it to hold it in place... other than that there were no real mounting instructions...
Old 03-21-2004, 08:26 PM
FHHuber
Banned

In another one of your threads about this subject... smeone posted a link to an article on doing a LOT of conversion to the Spectra for maximum performance.

One of the mods was how to put the Master Airscrew gearbox in, complete pictures and drawings. (and a modification to the gearbox to aid in cooling the motor which will improve motor life...)

Please go to that link and look at how it has been done.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Spec..._690367/tm.htm
http://www.capable.on.ca/rcstuff/spectrav.html

Old 03-23-2004, 08:44 PM
flyer2222

also try http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_69...tm.htm#1653468