Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

high start/ connect ring to tubing.?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

high start/ connect ring to tubing.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 12:16 AM
hawkman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default high start/ connect ring to tubing.?

this question has probably been asked a lot of times but i need some advice.

i have a spirit and i just got my surg tubing today from hobby lobby. do any of you people have any advice on connecting the tubing to the metal ring. thank you.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:58 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: high start/ connect ring to tubing.?

Larks Head.

Here: http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Lark.html
Old 03-27-2004, 05:51 AM
smoking joe

I use the same knot but I add a couple of plastic tie straps for security around the tubing. SJ
Old 03-27-2004, 10:01 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Works for most tubing.

As I hi-start a full house carbon fiber and glass three meter I use a fairly large section of tubing. I've made inserts of brass tubing and wood dowels that fit into the ends. Some what like the old whammo wrist rocket sling shot.

The brass tubing is over size. I flatten one end about 3/4" and fold it over in half. I solder this filling in the gaps. I drill a hole through it and chamfer it's edges. Glue a wood dowel into the other end with a bit of the dowel sticking out. Round off the dowel and the brass tubing into a "bullet" point so it will slide into the tubing and not catch on the brass tubing.

I use a ball bearing fishing line swivel between the brass tubing and the used 300 lb woven dacron line. I also have one at the parachute. I find the larger line easier to handle than the smaller line that comes with most commercial hi-starts. Sure don't need anything stronger than the breaking point of the tubing. Also buy a decent chute! A local flyers wife has been making the chutes for the everyone for ten years or more for $10. Has both the closed shaped canopy and the "dragster" type with the open gores.

I find this will slip through the weeds on the large undeveloped park are where we fly. The ring tends to catch.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:34 PM
hawkman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank's for the info. ifeel like a dummy.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:17 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

Larks Head.

Here: http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Lark.html

That is the same way I do it. It is not as hard as it looks.

If you can tie a neck tie, you can do this. I fact on the rare occasion when I hvae to do this, ususally to help someone set up a new hi-start, I hold the ring in front of me like it was my neck.

I will try to describe the steps.

Hold the ring parallel to the ground

tube straight down through the ring, take about 12 inches, then go to the right

Pass it over the top of the original tube from right to left. Keep the tube loose, don't pull it tight at this point.

Now bring the tube up through the ring from bottom to top and pass it over the ring and under the crossing piece of tube.

If you had the hi-start stretched out at this point, the loose end would be pointing back toward the pilot, parallel to the rest of the tubing.

If you look at the picture above, and follow the steps, you should get it.

There are other ways you can do this, but this is the knot I have seen most often. If you end up with about 6 inches hanging lose at the end, it should not come out. You can use a piece of cord to tie it but it really is not necessary.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:54 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

ORIGINAL: hawkman-RCU

thank's for the info. ifeel like a dummy.

No time for that. Get it togther and get flying!