Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Flying wing airfoil???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 10:26 PM
WolverineRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying wing airfoil???

I'm working on a small hombrew flying wing glider, 32 inch span, looking for good airfoils to try out, have tried the SD7003 and will be trying the EH20120 next, What have you guys used and liked or disliked? any recommendations for airfoils, camber and thicknesses?

Or, what's your favorite and least favorite airfoil for a flying wing, and why???

Thanks
Old 04-06-2004, 11:29 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Flying wing airfoil???

Try this site and it's links:

www.b2streamlines.com
Old 04-07-2004, 03:25 AM
probligo

http://aerodesign.de/english/profile/profile_s.htm
Old 04-07-2004, 12:31 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What sort of flying wing is it? A plank style or swept? Plank styles require a different class of airfoil while the swept types have much more latitude.

I'm working on a couple of ideas for a plank style electric parkflyer now. The airfoil I've chosen for this case is the EMX-07. But I've also made a little test glider plank with the MH110 that flies very well.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:10 PM
DesignMan

The Toucan uses a SD8020 at the root transitioning to a SD7090 at the tips, but it is swept FORWARD, not aft. This works like a canard and minimizes the amout of reflex required on the elevators.

Very smooth, fast, stable. If I did another similar design, I might scale the same airfoils a percent or two thinner for yet more speed. The current Toucan can't be stalled by pulling slowly back on the stick at low speeds, and none of mine has ever tip stalled out of the hardest, fastest turns.

For a more conventional plank or rear swept, I would just go with a thin symmetrical 'foil for slope work. The SD8020 has about the best performance I have found in the Soartech test reports.

When you get to designing for thermal soaring, you better do some more serious research with TWITT and B2. I doubt that the optimum has been found even yet.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:39 PM
skyKing RC Products LLC

Larry Renger, please send me your current contact information. I was just asking one of the Estes boys if they knew how to reach you.
Ed Berris
Old 04-11-2004, 12:24 PM
WolverineRC

Hey Guys

Thanks for the great sites and info, Here is a picture of # 1 & 2, third one is on the work bench. the goal is to test different airfoils and create a small take everywhere sloper.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24811.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	121041