Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Build one from scratch...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM
SpookySys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build one from scratch...

Hi there!
Building a glider from scratch... can that be so difficult? I just have some ideas about it and i am in need of help.
I'm thinking in a glider as light as possible for small winds and good thermal areas.
OK i need a plan but i don't have any... the one i have are a bit big a heavy for strong winds ... the exception is PANDA from Multiplex ( does anyone have one of those old planes? ) it's real cool plane and i have recently re-built one from the old plans.
Where can i find some ideas to build this glider?

Any idea to help me to build this one?

Cya!
Old 05-05-2004, 12:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Build one from scratch...

Vintage free flight model gliders adapted to RC may be what you're looking for. Another would be something more modern like a Gentle Lady with a more free flight airfoil and built up fuselage using sticks like an unlimited rubber model with a full Warren truss layout.

Years ago a buddy built the original Lee Renaud Esprit from RCM plans. It uses a NACA 6409 airfoil and was quite the floater but would still deal with light to moderate winds quite well. The pic I've attached from the plans section at www.rcmmagazine.com does not do the model real justice. The built up wing looks SO much better with transparent covering. It's very A2 Nordic like.

Old 05-05-2004, 04:03 PM
SpookySys

That is EXACTLY what i was looking for !
Thanks!
Old 05-05-2004, 07:31 PM
BMatthews

Geez, that was too easy ! ! ! I was hoping for more discussion and review of old time gliders.

Wait until I scan in and post up the prewar ( or mid war) Thermal Hopper glider. It's a semi scale with gull wing and high undercambered airfoil. It may just take your heart and steal it away.

But I have to admit you could do a lot worse than the Esprit. It's a LOT of work but such a pretty model. The fiberglass boom may be hard to find but you could always fatten it up and make it out of balsa similar in cross section to the rear of the pod and taper it to the rear. Or with todays accent on composite construction perhaps finding a suitable boom is easier than ever but it'll be in even lighter carbon fiber.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:44 AM
SpookySys

I always like the idea of a ligth-easy-to fly thermal ... lot's and lot's of pure fun!
I live near coastal area where we have many sea gull and to watch them for hour's and hour's up there makes me wanna do the same.
The discussion is open the more ideas the better, the problem is that i was out off the loop of sailplane/gliders for a long time and know all i have is the old and big balsa hand made planes (that are a lot of fun constructing) in my mind and wanna see more of whats out there.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:58 AM
SpookySys

I have just found this link with some nice plans @ [link]http://www.gataero.it/progetti/progetto5a/planilla5a.html[/link] ... the Terminator looks nice, here's a pic of it...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67710.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	129642  
Old 05-06-2004, 01:44 PM
BMatthews

To better fit you with a good design it would help if you could let us know the typical wind speeds for your area.

The Terminator may LOOK like what you want but it's actually a pretty slick flying model that may not slow down and "hang" like a free flight model.... If that is truly what you're looking for. In other words do not assume that a polyhedral model will do well with light winds and weak lift just from overall looks. Weight and airfoil is equally as important.

But in the end a free flight like glider with RC may not be what you're looking for. Wind conditions are much more important and will greatly control what design you end up with.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's PURTY... Looks like a plane for the evening zephyrs in this area.. the daily blast runs about 15-25 mph.
Some gliders can't go upwind at all!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:56 AM
BMatthews

Yep, the Esprit is a classic alright. And with the 6409 it's a floater too.

Here's the one I threatened you guys with earlier. Some mods would be needed to get it to work with rudder and elevator or you could add ailerons to the tip panels. As it is though it's terribly low on dihedral despite the sharp center angles. Dihedral works best when it's at the tips but this is all at the center. If it was me I'd go for ailerons coupled with rudder just so there's only the two functions to worry about and drop the center angle about 3 degrees and let the outer break stay as is so the outer tips droop the same amount for a more classic gull wing look. This one would certainly be only good for very light winds. Once it hit 5 MPH it would be time to land and put it away. But if your area has came evenings this would look SOOOOO pretty floating along in the last vestiges of light at dusk climbing in the last of the latent heat thermals.

Name:	Vt58019.gif
Views:	56
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	129898  
Old 05-07-2004, 11:16 PM
doctoreagle

I have a great little 49" hand launch glider called the Whisp out of a 1988 Model builder magazine. 2 channel and flies great even though I just crashed mine. Made mostly out of 1/16 balsa scrap, very simple to build. Took me 4 nights to start and finish it. Best thing is I can fly it in my local park or school yard or anywhere else without alot of room.

Down side is that it is not so great in strong or moderate wind.

Name:	Tr51181.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	130166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql32938.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	130167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rx60214.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	130168  
Old 05-08-2004, 06:54 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted a sloper that no one else wp with and I like P-38's and F-82's(twin Mustang) but we have to use a bungee to get over trees where I fly so the P-38 was chossen so I could put a tow hook into the fuse. I made the wing built up and balsa sheeted and made the fuse and booms foam over wood crutches, worked out much better than I thought it would, I figure the worse that could happen is it wouldn't fly, got lucky I guess...

Name:	Ge96522.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	130354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15541.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	130355  
Old 05-08-2004, 09:33 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

Super Job Evan. Great looking plane.

EJ
Old 05-10-2004, 03:47 AM
SpookySys

Great model !! I bet everyone asks ... "where's the engine ?! "
Great work !
Old 05-11-2004, 10:20 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another idea for a light-air model is Mark Smith's Windfree. You can order plans from RC Modeler magazine (www.rcmmagazine.com).

It's an early '70's design and is lightly-built, but is pretty and worth modeling.

If you look through the RCM plans database, you'll find a lot of glider/sailplanes that may suit your tastes. A very wide variety of types and performance ranges.

bax
Old 05-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Rick K
My Feedback: (6)

You may want to try the 'Dream Catcher Hobbies' web site, they mfg. alot of full and 'short' kits of Nos/RES ships including a nice looking short kit of the Grand Esprit. They also have the fiberglass boom available. The short kits include plans, Inst., laser-cut ribs and some of the 'hard'(er) parts to make.
I know that'd not quite be 'scratch' building but it'd skip the more tedious tasks, like cutting out forty or so different sized/shaped ribs and such. Their prices seem reasonable too. I haven't tried them yet but plan to in the future. If you want to try a 'old-school' floater and can live with a full kit, try 'Skybench Aerotech's web site. They also have a fine selection of planes. Most are copies of well known vintage kits with some improvements added and laser cut. I have one, the Craft-air Viking, I'm getting ready to build, looks like a nice kit but Inst.s are weak, let's just say very "concise", therefore it's not a kit for beginners in my opinon. They also have some short kits but what's included in them I'm not sure as I didn't read their descriptions. Most of the planes the other guys have mentiond are availabe from one or the other of these Mfgs. If you insist upon a full 'scratch' job you will want to order RCM's plans book. It includes hundreds of plans including many sailplanes of the kind your intrested in. I think it costs five bucks. Before ordering a plan tho I'd check here to be sure it's a good (popular) ie: classic design, as there are alot of odd-ball ones in there no one remembers or has ever heard of since.
Rick