Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Tow hook

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 04:34 PM
Kestrel-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow hook

Is anyone familiar with the tow hook on the Aspire? Would it be sturdy enough for a 65 to 70 oz. 3M?

Or know of another similar surface mounted type of hook?

Thanks. Duey
Old 07-03-2002, 05:02 PM
Ollie

Default Tow Hook

The tow hook relates to the maximum tension used to launch rather than the size of the sailplane. For high start or gentle winch launches almost any tow hook will do. For zoom launching, steel tow hooks in the #6 to #10 screw size are appropriate. Surface mounted hooks need to be connected securely to a sturdy part of the fuselage structure if vigorous launces are in the picture.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:44 PM
BruceDana

Default Tow hook

IMO, not good for a heavier sailplane. The Aspire nylon hook, although adjustable, may not even be "good" for the Aspire.

If you examine the molding (at least on the Aspire I had), the release point at the rear of the hook was a significantly narrower clearance than when the hook was in tension under tow. By design or a bad one I got?

The ring on our clubs' launch leader b-a-r-e-l-y would let the hook freely release.

Also, that hook never would need to tension up for a launch like a heavier ship would (otherwise the wings would separate from the Aspire on launch throw), so I would have a lot less faith in the Aspire nylon hook over a traditional steel hook made for the weights you describe.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:57 PM
BruceDana

Default Tow hook

Just saw this on Hobby Lobby:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/towing.htm
Old 07-04-2002, 12:03 PM
David Schurr

Default Tow hook

The Aspire tow hook (Nylon) is not even very good for the Aspire when used with a wench. I had a friend at a machine shop make me one out of steel and it works really great.

I do like the way it adjusts without a bunch of holes in the bottom of the plane.