Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

WTB- Glider Hi-Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 06:26 PM
putt_13
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB- Glider Hi-Start

Hello,
I am looking for a working Hi-Start for HLG's up to 2M sailplanes. If you have one, and want to get rid of it, let me know. Thanx -Patrick
Old 05-16-2004, 08:46 PM
kwmtrubrit

Default RE: WTB- Glider Hi-Start

By all means tell me to mind my own business, but I would be more inclined to buy a new one and be done with it. You don't know how a used one was stored or treated. The surgical tubing is very sensitive to u.v and could break during launch costing you your aircraft. I think mine was about $40.00.

kwmtrubrit
Old 05-16-2004, 09:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

That's quite right. Rubber has a life span and if you don't know how old it is then you may very well be getting a dud. It's much better to buy new and know that you'll get about 7 to 10 seasons from it.

Technically this thread should not be here. Want ads are supposed to go in the marketplace. But I'll leave it here for now so some others can try to convince you that new is best. But any attempts at dealing will cause this thread to be deleted. If anyone feels the urge to try to sell something then it had best be through PM's.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:47 PM
putt_13
My Feedback: (3)

Sorry for not placing this in the Market Place. I really don't like that set-up. I LOVED the old For Sale Forum, where each branch of RC hobbies had its own thread. There were SO many items listed. In the Marketplace, you can barely find ANYTHING. Just my thoughts. -Patrick
Old 05-17-2004, 12:40 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Putt, this is the sort of feedback the management wants to hear. Please take a moment to post how you feel about your troubles with the Market Place in the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/MarketPlace_questions_or_problem%3F/forumid_63/tt.htm]Suggestions Forum[/link].

I know from reading the discussions with the higher ups that they truly do care about how the forums look and run and in particular how the Market Place is run so your concerns WILL mean something.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Look at Hobby-lobby.com. They have nice high start set ups. I have one that will launch 3m+ sized planes with ease. I run out of pull before it does & I'm 6'3", 250 lbs. It's made from some sort of colored tubing, not plain surgical tubing. This stuff is MUCH tougher. Most are made from regular brown surgical tubing which ages by loosing stretch, or getting nicked up and breaking. I've been using mine for about a year of occasional use and still don't see any wear on it, even though I use it on a rough horse pasture. They make 'em for all sizes, rubber alone or the full set up.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:54 PM
AirHead256

Bite down hard, go to aerofoam.com and buy a 2 meter histart. It is far and away the best histart available in this country, and will give years of happy service.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:23 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to go cheap, the Dynaflite standard hi-start or up-start should be fine for a hand launch and still be able to send up a 2M plane. Upstart is about $30 and the hi-start is about $55 at towerhobbies.com

If the 2M to 100 inch was your target I would go with the Dynaflite HD.

I personally like the NESail hi-starts but they cost a little more. They seem to be the most popular at our sailplane club.

Or you can just make your own. Get some 3/16 to 1/4 OD latex/surgical tubing, some mason line, a couple of spikes and rings. All set. 1/8" bungee should be able to launch a HLG.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:39 AM
bobbyclark

I can relate to where Patrick is "coming from". I got much satisfaction designing and building my own launch system ...here's my story.

I have constructed my own hi-start system which launches both my 80in floater (Advancer 2000) and my 100in 5ch (Southern Sailplanes Ricochet - Sport) perfectly. I can configure this launcher to either situation. To launch my floater I gear the bungee to a 2:1 ratio with small pulleys ...I get gentle lifts to approx 600 ft with this. To launch the much heavier Ricochet, I remove the gearing for a 1:1 ratio.

I use 30m of 7mm Bungee cord (called shock or bungee cord in australia and is available [cheeeeap] from Clark Rubber stores) and am using 45kg monofilament fishing line (150m for the 2:1 gearing, 100m for the 1:1 gearing) ...For the record, the pull of the 1:1 ratio was a little severe launching the 2m floater and I experienced some wing flutter on the way up ...still in one piece though.

Cheap system, works great.

Cheers all,
Bob Clark