Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Sagitta 900! Sweet!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 04:48 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sagitta 900! Sweet!

You gotta love the internet. Been looking for a fair priced Sagitta 900 for a long time just to have the kit. Just bought one after a long time of looking. Got it for a fair price. Most of the people I asked kept trying to get over $200 for the kit. Just to much.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:42 PM
McLeodAviation
My Feedback: (70)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sagitta 900! Sweet!

Congrats on finding an original Sagitta 900 kit. With patience fair deals can be found here on RCU and other sources.

Dream Catcher Hobby sells a short kit and a fiberglass fuselage for the Sagittas. About $118.00 for the combo.

Dream Catcher also sells a short kit for the V-Tail Grand Esprit. I want to buy this one in the future!

Currently I have a scale Orlice sailplane in the works. I am using a fiberglass fuselage from an old German Wanitschek kit. I am having foam cores cut for 118" wingspan.

The Aero Orlice has always been one of my favorite sailplanes and I also found mine thanks to the internet.

Nitro Addict
Old 05-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Ron Kay
My Feedback: (3)

Thats great! Congratulations...

Your gonna love it... I've been flying my 900 for about a year or so and it has got to be the best flying RES Sailplane I've ever had. Fast, stable and forgiving... I've use both winch and hi-start and it flys the mission regardless. Flying in light and heavy winds it does a great job... Spoilers are extremely effective when used in moderation. I use a simple four channel Airtronics without computer assist. It's definitely manageable with basic radio gear. Landing: When you pop the spoiler's watch the pitch... It happens fast so ease into it. Easy on the landing flair.. if you lower the nose on final you'll be amazed to see how fast it accelerates... It's clean and it wants to fly... You'll find it doesn't take much to hit the mark if you set up the pattern. Just a recommendation, pay close attention to the trailing edge of the wing... Keep it sharp it does make a difference..

Good luck and have fun...

Ron
Old 05-22-2004, 01:51 PM
KJohn

This brings back a fond memory. I helped a friend build a Sagitta 900 when they first appeared on the market. I built the wings, he built the fuselage. We had been flying slow to moderate speed sailplanes. The first time we launched the Sagitta 900 and turned it upwind was a real treat. It just cruised upwind with no problem at all. It grooved like a pattern plane and we really got a great flight in terms of time in the air and the amount of ground covered. Once that was experienced it was hard to go back to the slower sailplanes. After a few weeks we decided to try to see how much time we could squeeze out of it on a dead calm evening. This too was a real treat. By setting it it up to require no trim and just letting it cruise at a moderate but efficient speed we were really surprised at how well it hung in the air. It showed us that the plane had great potential in wind if properly trimmed and flown and it had great potential in calm conditions if properly trimmed and flown. Each of these conditions requires different flying trims. And it is a nice plane to look at in the air.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:39 PM
FLYBOY

when I flew on the US circut, I flew 2 of them. Peeled the wings off both trying to zoom in high wind. Not the right wing to zoom launch. OH well, looked for a long time. Sold my aquila kit a few months ago. Wishing I wouldn't have. Will find another. I know dreamcatcher has the short kits, I like the reg ones with wood fuse better though. I saw an aquila sell on ebay the other day for over $300. Man, those guys are either nuts, or they don't know how to buy stuff. They sell all the time for $125.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:53 PM
ejett
My Feedback: (4)

I saw that Aquila kit too. I gotta believe it will be back up in a week or so. The "winner" of the auction had 0 feedback. I suspect he will not pay for the plane.

I am working on an Aquila now and hope to finish it by the end of the weekend. I am learning enough about it that the next one will be easier. Some of the things I have learned is how to NOT do things. But, when I get a little off base, I back up and fix it.

EJ

I have a Sagitta 900 kit which will be in line shortly. I have to build a BOT or BoTF next.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm pleased to see that there is still interest in the Sagitta line of gliders. If you take a close look at current designs, you will find a little bit of the Sagitta in many of them. I was lucky to have been there when Lee Renaud was developing them, and got to enjoy some very good glider flying for the times.

Flying power now for a long time, but still enjoy looking back to "the days".

You folks keep having fun!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
FLYBOY

ejett, make sure you put the cuff on the bottom of the wing on that aquila. It flys a lot better. PM or email me if you have questions on it. If you don't do it, it dances pretty bad when you open the spoilers and pick up the speed.

Have a blast