Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Airtronics Vision question

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 06:02 PM
petefly58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Vision question

Hi folks. I own an Airtronics Vision radio which has a 1000 Mah battery pack. The pack is about 3 years old. In the 2 years I have owned this radio, I have noticed that it has a short run time. At the advice of a fellow club member, I disconnected the red diodes and this helped somewhat. In repeated testing at home with a full charge, the usual run time I obtain with the Vision is about 1:20 minutes, sometimes a bit less. If I fully charge the radio and don't switch it on for a couple of days, it is usually almost totally depleted. If anyone reading this owns a Vision I'd sure like to hear whether or not the above is typical. I have heard that this radio is greedy in terms of power usage and I do plan shortly to install a new 1100 Mah pack. Thanks in advance for all replies to this post.

Pete
Old 06-04-2004, 06:24 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Airtronics Vision question

Install the new battery pack as soon as possible. You have a dead cell or one of the connections between the cells is intermintent. If you can test each cell (sometimes sticking pins through the plastic sleeve at each end of a cell) you may find the one(s) that is below 1 volt after a full charge. You can also cut the pack apart and use four of the good cells as a flight pack.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:56 PM
petefly58

I fully charged the radio and tested each cell in the pack.......the voltmeter read 1.3 volts per cell, they were all very close to each other. However, there may have been a less than perfect connection between the 2 sets of 4 batteries making up the pack. So I reconnected and resoldered the 2 sets of 4. I will recharge and discharge several times to see if I obtain significantly better results. If not, the pack gets replaced. Thank you very much for your advice!!!!!

Pete
Old 06-09-2004, 05:50 AM
petefly58

I finally made up a transmitter pack from 1100 Mah NIMH batteries. After a full slow charge........I obtained a 3+ hour run time with the Vision. I'll cycle a few more times to see if there is any increase, but now I have a radio which is safe to fly with. Thanks for your help and advice!

Pete