Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Adding Ailerons To Electric Sailplane Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Adding Ailerons To Electric Sailplane Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding Ailerons To Electric Sailplane Question

I want to add ailerons to an electric sailplane, and I plan to put a servo in each wing. My question is, how do you determine how big the ailerons should be, and where they should start and stop on the trailing edge of the wing? My wing is tapered. I notice most gliders and sailplanes, powered and non, all have ailerons out towards the wing tip, but still inboard somewhat. I'm assuming they aren't run full-span (like a power plane) for a reason. Any idea of where to start cutting? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:08 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Adding Ailerons To Electric Sailplane Question

Need a bit more info on the wing. Actually what is the name and make of the plane?

About 20% of the cord is good for ailerons. The outer half of a straight wing is sufficent for most aileron applications. In some cases it's eaiser to just make another wing for ailerons and flaps. I use metal geared servos for ailerons and definately for flaps. Flaps can be up to 30% of the wing cord depending on the air foil.

This would be your first aileron plane?
Old 06-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

The plane is called a Cox Canario. Its a small electric glider that's been out of production since the 80's, but I bought one NIB. I don't intend to put flaps on it, but it needs ailerons. Being rudder only, it actually gets pushed out of any thermals and can't get back in since the rudder lacks sufficient control authority. I had been flying gas for about 16 years, so its not my first aileron plane; I'm just starting to get into this sailplane thing though.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:20 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Need to do some searches as it seems others have had the same idea. Read the first thread link. The fellow posting acutally worked for COX.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Cox_...1175562/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Best...1905627/tm.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search