Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Rib spacing

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 07:39 PM
teamselpats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rib spacing

I'm making a sailplane and i was wondering what a good distance would be for the spaces between ribs on the airfoil? Also how many spars should I have connecting the ribs?
Old 06-20-2004, 08:33 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Rib spacing

It all depends on how much sheeting you have or if you're going to use lots of turbulator spars as non load bearing covering support.

In any event for something this performance oriented I don't like to use more than a 2 inch spacing max. It helps to hold the trailing edge shape more accuratley and thus maintain the shape of the airfoil to a higher degree of accuracy.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:02 PM
probligo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rib spacing

As Bruce has hinted, some more detail would help.

Things to think about in making these decisions are -
[ul][*] Span [*] All up weight[*] Wing section (rib shape)[*] Lauch method
[/ul]
All of these have an impact on the forces within the wing and hence the size, shape and composition of the spars.

Most of the wings I build have effectively only one spar. But its shape is essentially the front 1/3 of the wing.

Take a look at www.charlesriverrc.org and Mark Drela's design for Allegro (the built up wing versions) to see what I mean. The way he builds his main spar and the "D" box leading edge is straight from freeflight gliders (where I come from...).

By tying the leading edge, and main spar into a "tube" you are making one very large, very strong spar.

I would not space ribs more than 75mm on a large wing. Bruce is right coming down to 50mm for greater "accuracy". The problem of sagging behind the main spar can be solved by extending the sheeting further back. It is all compromise at that point.