Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Spirit spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:19 PM
vicjperry
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spirit spoilers

Well, like I mentioned before, I have a Spirit 2 meter sailplane that has yet to see the sky. I've been picking away at it, making the changes that everyone suggests. I have a dilema.

No matter how many times I try to hook the spoiler pull-lines to the servo, I can't get the spoilers to open evenly or close tightly. Any tips or tricks I could try to remedy this before I bif the sucker into the wind, or the trash can?

Vic
Old 06-21-2004, 08:08 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Spirit spoilers

I used two ring type wire terminals to connect the line to. (get the smallest you can find and if need be cut the plastic off them)I put a 2mm bolt in the servo arm then slipped the terminals over the bolt. With the spoilers in their full open position (make sure the servo is in the correct position also I like to use adjustable arms for spoilers these take some of the guess work out of it) I put a line through each of the terminals. I then take up the slack and tacked each line in position with a drop of ca. I then wrapped the excess line back around it's self a few times and added another drop or two of ca. To keep the terminals on the bolt I use a blind nut upside down. The terminal can't get past it and my fat fingers don't drop it too often. I also use a light spring attached to the le and to the spoiler horn to make sure the spoilers close and stay closed.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:14 PM
vicjperry
Banned

I love your idea about the springs. As far as dropping CA to the lines, wouldn't that prevent me from disconnecting the wings from the servos for transportion?
Old 06-21-2004, 09:58 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

I've used a torsional spring to close some spoilers. This is a long piece of thin music wire with two short bends -- on in each end. One of the bends is pressed into one end of the spoiler, the length of the wire is held to the spoiler with covering.

The other end of the torsional spring is placed on top the spar so that the tension of the twist holds the spoiler closed. The spoiler is then taped to the wing. Yes taped. Try the new clear hockey stick tape. It's some what removeable when you need to repair the spoiler. Use very small wire. If you have sheeting then stick the wire under the sheeting on top of the spar.

The torsional spring doesn't wear out like rubber bands or come loose like some extension springs can.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:55 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

No you only use the ca where the line passes through the wire terminal. When your done you have two separate lines with a connector each.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:31 PM
vicjperry
Banned

Could you possibly post a diagram of the spring made of music wire. I don't quite get the concept.

Vic