Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:26 AM
gtrucco1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Insurance

Hi, I'm new to RC models and I'm going to buy an Electric Glider.
Is there a mandatory insurance I need to have before I can fly?

Thanks.

giorgio
Old 06-22-2004, 11:49 AM
TFLG

Default RE: Need Insurance

If you fly at a R/C field you will normally be required to become a member of the AMA. This will get you insurance. If you fly at the local park or a vacant field then no you are not required by law to have any. You would be a complete baffoon to fly without insurance though. The last time I was out a fellow flyer T-boned the side of a brand new truck with a foamie glider and put a large dent into it. I'm quite sure there was at least a grand worth of damage done. You can do a lot of damage with a toy plane if you hit a person or a car, house etc. I've seen gliders come down on power lines and blow transformers up cutting off power to homes/businesses. Iv'e had my car hit by a plane at the power field. I've been hit several times. Etc....

So most R/C fields require insurance (AMA), many locations where R/C flying is allowed will require insurance (AMA). Open lots, or school yards don't but you will need to pray you don't hit anyone.

TFLG
Old 06-22-2004, 12:39 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

MOV-VAL???

Moreno Valley?

Usually renters or home owners insurance will cover your hobby activities. This is usually what pays for most RC hobby related acidents anyway. The AMA will tell you that you didn't fly with in it's safety rules and not pay the claim. Even if you fly at an AMA coverd field and you have AMA membership they may deny your claim.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:19 PM
TFLG

Ya Mo-valley

Your homeowners can just as easily deny your claim. AMA is a secondary insurance anyway so if you have homeowners or renters the AMA will not kick in. But you still will need it to fly at most club sites. I've known a couple of guys to claim with AMA and they were handled just fine. I filed a claim with em when I was hit in the chest with a plane. It was also not a problem. I also filed a claim with my homeowners for some stolen RC gear and that was WAY more hassle than my claim with AMA. I don;t think I would ever file a claim with my homeowners again unless it was a seriously large amount of money. Unless you live in your old car flying without some kind of insurance is a risky endevour.

TFLG