Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Wing Joiner

Old 07-03-2004, 02:51 PM
rakescd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wing Joiner

Need a recommendation for wing joiner material for an older 2.5m ship. It is similar to the Art Hobby thermal planes except that it has plug in wings and the wing joiner WAS a flat, blade type joiner, hence the need to make a new one. I also am not sure of how much dihedral to put into it, I am limited by the fit of the wings to the fuse but do have some choice and still retain good fit where the wings meet the fuse. I am planning on making a pattern out of ply then cut, slash and hack the final one out of some other rigid material that y'all suggest.

Charles
Old 07-03-2004, 04:41 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: Wing Joiner

Are there brass tubes? Measure the openings. All of the blade wing root joiners I've seen are spring steel. Mostly metric.
Old 07-03-2004, 07:24 PM
probligo

Default RE: Wing Joiner

Alternative -

Measure joiner opening in wing as suggested.

Measure depth of joiner using 1/32 wire or similar.

Use these measurements to build a mould from suitable material (3/16 or 1/4 ply is good).

Mould new joiner from a combination of cf unidirectional sheet and cf tow. Make sure that there is no more than 15% resin/85% carbon fibre.

Use a thin moulding resin (not an adhesive). and get as much pressure as you can on the mould as quick as you can. There are plenty of sites out there on the net with pictures etc - check out cf prop moulding as a start.