Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Eastern Soaring Leage Event - Photos

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Eastern Soaring Leage Event - Photos

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 04:16 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Eastern Soaring Leage Event - Photos

Our club, the Long Island Silent Flyers, www.lisf.org, recently hosted a competition sponsored by the Eastern Soaring League. I thought you might enjoy seeing some of the photos I took of the event. This is what pushed me over the edge from an Electric Parkflyer to a glider.

ESL Event Photos 6-2003

These were fantastic pilots. I was lucky enough to work the event. I timed many of the pilots and actually learned enough to help some of them find good thermals. They were very generous with their insights into flying and thermal hunting.

I was so impressed, I had to learn how to do this type of flying. So now I am learning to hi-start launch my GP Spirit 2 Meter and hope to progress to the electric winch soon.

It seems silly, but I am just amazed how the Spirit just floats off of the hi-start line and then just majestically sails across a sea of air. Like some schooner on the ocean, it just floats, as if suspended by some unseen string, traveling in silent beauty. I dream about it.

Our club holds a club contest each month. Perhaps in September I will be able to compete.

Then, later in September we have another ESL competition coming. While these are unlimited class events, there is nothing to prevent a 2 meter from entering. I could never hope to place well however I might enter the competition just for the thrill of it all.

I am having so much fun flying!
Old 08-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Toro1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhhh yes, your hooked.

you have found the wonderment that the sailplane brings to the aviation world. It is truly a machine of beauty, technology, and finesse.

Wait until you get into the big ones

JB
Old 08-04-2003, 06:03 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am only into my 2 Meter Spirit a few weeks, but the magic of watching this thing fly, silently, is amazing.

I have been warned that sailplanes are more addictive than power planes. I am begining to feel it already.