Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

New Fling arf and gliders in general????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New Fling arf and gliders in general????

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:45 PM
basmntdweller
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fling arf and gliders in general????

I just came in from flying my new Fling arf. I'm pretty green when it comes to sailplanes. I have a Gentle Lady with a powerpod and have flown it a bit. I put up about 15 flights on the Fling today but they don't last long. It launches way better than I thought, nearly 70 degree angle climbing but it doesn't want to let go of the towhook till it has started to pull it back down. How do you maximize the glide? I tried trimming for better penetration but then it came down fairly quick. I tried the other extreme but it would be on the verge of a stall all the time and controls were real mushy. I assumed either there was little thermal activity as I never gained any altitude during flights. I have caught thermals with my Slinger electric wing before at another field an stayed up over an hour but not had any luck with either of my sailplanes. My longest flight today was only three and a half minutes and that was *****g out the histart. As it was coming off the towhook, I could see the histart rubber was straight up in the air, fully extended.
Any trimming help or other suggestions you might offer would be welcomed. I have been flying RC off and on for over 25 years, I just never had any exposure to sailplanes.
Thanks,,,Matt
Old 07-28-2004, 10:46 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Default RE: New Fling arf and gliders in general????

When you still have tension on a Hi-Start at the apex of the launch (directly over the tie down stake) you don't have enough line. Add another 50 feet of line. If it's still in tension at the top of the launch and another 50 feet.

The length of the line will change as the wind builds or dies.

The rudder on a polyhederal RC sailplane should have stop to stop travel. Most will respond quickly to full rudder. Some don't.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Silverhawk
My Feedback: (1)

I just came in from flying my Seeker. I can appreciate your comment on the mushy response. If the Fling is anything like my Seeker the mush comes when I get heavy handed with the controls. I have the CG at neutral and the edge of stall is more like it's balanced on my hand with about zero forward motion.

Maybe mine is not trimmed properly but I get great SAL's now and I just have to remember not to trim for too much float.

Ray
Old 07-29-2004, 08:19 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

The rudder works the best when there is air going past it. If you fly real slow don't expect much rudder response unless you double it's size.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:58 PM
gmccluskey

anyone know if a Hitech Electron 6 receiver will fit in the nose of the GreatPlanes Fling?
Old 08-13-2004, 12:46 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

How long is the mini-start that comes with the Fling? This is a small model that is probably only getting up to about 100 to 150 feet on that mini start. Thermals at that height are often small and weak and need extra care to utilize.

But that is a large part of the challenge of thermal flying. If it was easy it wouldn't be so much fun over the long haul.

Try to watch for each small sign and suggestion in the air and experiment with turning into the various little disturbances you detect. With these little ones at low altitude you can't just fly into a big up zone and circle lazily around like you may be used to with larger and higher climbing models. But when you DO speck out from a small little washing machine like thermal it sure feels great.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Propduster
My Feedback: (4)

Hi Matt, I realize this may be just abit off subject but I was reading your post and read that you have a Slinger electric wing. From what you said it is very capable of thermaling. I am looking at this plane myself as I have always been interested in a wing. Can you tell me more about your setup on this plane? (Motor, battery, etc.) Thanks! Mike.
ORIGINAL: basmntdweller

I just came in from flying my new Fling arf. I'm pretty green when it comes to sailplanes. I have a Gentle Lady with a powerpod and have flown it a bit. I put up about 15 flights on the Fling today but they don't last long. It launches way better than I thought, nearly 70 degree angle climbing but it doesn't want to let go of the towhook till it has started to pull it back down. How do you maximize the glide? I tried trimming for better penetration but then it came down fairly quick. I tried the other extreme but it would be on the verge of a stall all the time and controls were real mushy. I assumed either there was little thermal activity as I never gained any altitude during flights. I have caught thermals with my Slinger electric wing before at another field an stayed up over an hour but not had any luck with either of my sailplanes. My longest flight today was only three and a half minutes and that was *****g out the histart. As it was coming off the towhook, I could see the histart rubber was straight up in the air, fully extended.
Any trimming help or other suggestions you might offer would be welcomed. I have been flying RC off and on for over 25 years, I just never had any exposure to sailplanes.
Thanks,,,Matt
Old 10-25-2004, 06:48 PM
hillbillyflyer

an electron 6 will fit without the case but not with it anyone know if a Hitech Electron 6 receiver will fit in the nose of the GreatPlanes Fling? gmccluskey