Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Covering choice for Sailplane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Covering choice for Sailplane

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 12:10 PM
rscarawa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering choice for Sailplane

I see that some sailplanes rely on the strength of the covering for wing strength. I covered my first glider with Monokote and I am sure this has plenty of strength when it is shrunk tight. Are there certain films that should be avoided due to weakness? What about Oracover?

Scot
Old 08-23-2004, 01:52 PM
barto

Default RE: Covering choice for Sailplane

We use nothing but oracover in Europe, very good covering, never had a problem with it. The strength will be about the same as monokote I think. Not sure though.

Bart
Old 08-23-2004, 03:08 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

An open structure (with out the balsa sheeting) depends greatly on the covering for torsional (twisting) strength. Monocoat (or MoneyCoat as we have come to call it) is the best as it is mylar. The other coverings are polyester and stay "soft".

So on an open structure I would use MonoCoat. On a sheeted wing and fuse I would use Oracover.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:37 PM
rscarawa

well, I have a 2 meter Spirit that has only the top leading edge sheeted and only on the inside wing panels. The new wing I am constructing will be sheeted on the top leading edge wing tip to wing tip.

do you think Oracover will be good enough for both scenarios?

Scot
Old 08-23-2004, 07:56 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Orocover/Ultracote (same thing I hear) is a great covering. I use it exclusively on all my planes.
One suggestion but its more of a personal taste thing, use a transparent covering on the wing.
I always think a sailplane should have transparent covered wings.
ORIGINAL: rscarawa

well, I have a 2 meter Spirit that has only the top leading edge sheeted and only on the inside wing panels. The new wing I am constructing will be sheeted on the top leading edge wing tip to wing tip.

do you think Oracover will be good enough for both scenarios?

Scot
Old 08-23-2004, 08:13 PM
rscarawa

I have transparent monokote on my glider now and I am going to stick with it.

Scot
Old 08-24-2004, 12:31 AM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Just about all euro build ARF gliders (see Hobby Lobby) come with Oracover. Horizion Hobby sells it as Ultracote in the US. Here is my Filip600 covered in Neon Transparend Red Ultracote:

In bright sunshine the whole plane 'glows'.

Fritz
Old 08-24-2004, 01:00 AM
DUMTHUM

I have used Monocote and Ultracote, they are both tough and prevent twisting in a wing. Use the lighter one for sailplanes. Either should be more than adequately strong for a sailplane. Transparent coverings are usually lighter than their opaque color counterparts. And they look really cool in the air. Had my Sig Riser specked out the other day and the transparent red wings and tail were highly visible. Somewhere on RC universe there is a good discussion about weights and strengths of coverings. My preference is Ultracote as it adheres at a lower temperature than Monocote and shrinks at a lower temp. And I think it has a greater shrinking range than Monocote, just add more heat to shrink a little more. "My 2 cents worth."

Does anyone have experience with really light coverings like Solartex on a larger plane like an Oly 650, (you know, two meter) or how about on a really big one like a Sailaire (12'-5" span)? Would the stress on these bigger planes shred this parkflyer covering? Or worse, fold the wings.

Here's a challenge for you fellas that have a lot more time than I have to model airplanes. Build a structure similar to a wing, or a miniature wing, cover it with various coverings, hang a weight on, and measure flex, twist, stretch, rebound and whatever other factors you want, then report back to us. If I retire before you guys get around to it I'll do it.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 PM
rscarawa

I have noticed that the covering tends to twist the wing alot if you are not careful. You can also use this to help keep the wing true, but it seems like the wing needs occasional adjustment. Considering the length of a 2 meter glider wing, how close should the incidence be from root to tip? Is .5 degrees of twist acceptable generally speaking? Makes me wish the whole wing was sheeted just so I would not have to worry about it.

Scot
Old 08-24-2004, 11:26 PM
DUMTHUM

Try sealing your covering down while holding the wing down on the building board to keep it true to the shape it was built. Be sure to cover top and bottom of wing before shrinking the covering. Then shrink the covering one bay at a time alternating between the top and bottom of the wing, again keeping it on a flat building board as much as is possible. Don't shrink too much at first, leave a little room to shrink out any warps. Might also try reading the book "Covering R/C Airplanes" by Faye Stilley available through rcstore.com.