Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Slope Soaring From a Boat

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 04:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Slope Soaring From a Boat

On Long Island, where I live, there is not much in the way of good slope soaring. Most of the slope candidates are either inaccessable, private land, or over very busy and highly populated space. I would not want to lose a plane over them. The results could be very bad, and I don't mean for my plane.

However, being an island, there is lots of water around us and there are high areas that face the water. I was wondering what the feasability would be of slope soaring from the bottom of the slope, from a boat.

I am flying a ZAGI wing, so I am pretty sure it will float if I drop it in the water. I think I can seal it water tight to protect the electronics.

If I get pushed into the hill I might lose the plane because I just can't get to it, but that is a risk from some of the top slope areas too. I can think of a few places where there might be a 50-200 foot high hillside covered with thick trees, but which is not accessible from above.

If we could float up in front of it, what is the chance we could just toss up a glider and ride the lift up?

Do you think I would need a motorized glider to get up to the lift zone?

I am still VERY new to slope, so any input would be appreciated. I have been bitten by the slope bug and want to ride the rise again; soon! If this could work, I might be able to fly in other than a dead north wind.

What do you think? Anyone ever tried this?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:29 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Slope Soaring From a Boat

aejr,
I have heard of people sloping from the bottom of the hill, although I've never done it myself. (Part of my exercise regimen consists of dragging my old a** and a few planes UP the hill whenever there's a good wind.) I know it can be done and you pprobably wouldn't need a motorized glider either.
One word of caution, though. If you try it from a boat, make sure you have SOMEBODY ELSE (and preferably somebody who knows what they're doing) to steer the boat while you're flying. The combination of a lost plane AND a wrecked boat could make for a pretty expensive (AND wet) afternoon.
If some good flying sites are on private property, why not just ask if you can use them? The worst that can happen is you get told no.
Make sure you make your plane watertight. Salt water does wonderful things to electronics.

papermache
Old 09-01-2004, 11:24 AM
wind junkie
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you could get this to work, but I'm wondering why you would want to try? Most of the "fun" maneuvers one tends to perform on the slope would be nearly impossible from the bottom, as you don't have a good perspective to search and play with the pump zone.

If all you wanted to do was "just stay up" in slope lift, then I understand your goal, but still wonder why you just don't go thermal soaring inland.

If I were to try this (on a bet, or dare, for some large cash award prize, not using my own airplane of course), I would go with a large span motorized glider. It would be like getting thermals inland, but you would be hugging the ridge near the coast. Hopefully you could hand catch the plane from the boat on landing, or land someplace at the bottom which is easily retrievable.

At first I thought you were going on a cruise, and had some HUGE oceanliner (very tall) that would let you fly from a balcony facing the wind.

As papermache said, keep the plane away from salt water!
Old 09-13-2004, 07:23 PM
flybaby101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I reckon you should find a nice slope and go fly , i have over 20 i know of here in tasmania , and if the wind changes they are all in walking distance as i dont drive , i just walk up the other side of the hill , my favourite places are kentish and forth..

cheers
dug[&:]