Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Help converting Cutlass 45 to slope

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Help converting Cutlass 45 to slope

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 12:07 PM
sylentbob3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help converting Cutlass 45 to slope

I am interesting in converting a Global Cutlass .45 to slope.
I know the model is very heavy, but I think I can lighten it some.
Although, I have never converted a gas plane to slope before.

Does anyone else have any other advice?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help converting Cutlass 45 to slope

It is heavy! I've only seen one of these. I've heard the plans c.g. is incorrect. It was on the .10 sized version I had.
This was a miserable failure with glow power, but flew a couple times as a glider piggy-backed up on my Mothership Kadet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16857.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	170565  
Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

If you plan to just start in cutting and pasting, - I don't think that will get you too far. If you start all over, make your RIBS at the Center and out ONE sewt of ribs inbothj directions to be around 3/16" balsa and then from there on out make all of the RIBS at 1/16". Make absolutely sure that you use a vertical grain shear web from RIB #2 on out to the end of 1/16" balsa. BE AS EXACT AS YOU CAN BE. YOU HAVE JUST MADE AN "I-BEAM"

Now, from there you adjust the remainder accordingly.

Best of Luck!

marwen®d
Old 09-23-2004, 12:37 PM
papashuu

do not use the c/g on the plans, it will not fly here. It's about 2 inches to the rear of where it should be. Seems Global used the cg for a plane with a tail (25-33%) and the cutlass needs the same c/g setup as a zaggie (10-16%).

Also use a servo in each elevon and dont use the center section of the aileron next to the body. Made these a fixed part of the wing. If you have already built this part then cut them even with the elevons and taper them in to the fuselage. This part of the elevon will cause you to just fall out of the air when trying to flair for landing, since there almost on the cg. They don't help for elevator at all any ways. Stay away from building with all that light ply that comes with it. Mine is incredibly strong. If i were to build another one I wouldn't use much at all.I'd even use balsa for the bulkheads.

Mine flis very nicely, and flairs for landing really jetlike, watch your slow turning, you'll loose some of your elevator response while turning. Didn't use rudders on mine, I'd use them if I had it to do over.

Watch your cg. you have to almost get it to the tail heavy spot to get really good elevator response at low speed. Start Nose heavy and slowly slowly change your cg.

mine can be seen here http://206.27.14.42/rams/rams1_049.htm good luck, papashuu!