Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Rocket gliders

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Underaged Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocket gliders

can you give me pictures videos or info on them?
Old 09-12-2004, 01:18 PM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rocket gliders

I'm in the designing phase of a rocket powered space shuttle glider right now, It will have the rocket motors in the booster tanks and seperate from the shuttle after the burn. Going to use elevons to control the shuttle on the glide back down. I'll be using a nice plan from RCM to build the shuttle, 36" wing span, and the boosters will have to be my own design as well as the seperation mechanism. Going to use at least 2 D-12's to launch it. Will post some pics as I start building.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:25 PM
Underaged Pilot

im in the designing phase too
Old 09-13-2004, 12:00 PM
lenrev

Estes has a couple of rocket powered R/C gliders in their line, if I remember correctly.

One of our locals installed the receiver for D-size rocket motors on a Zagi THL. It was launched off of a pair od dowels mounted at 45 degrees on a base plate of some sort. We got 150-200' launches but, due to the lateness of the day, never found thermals.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:04 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey PB, let me know when you get it done. I will come watch you flyit.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:23 PM
propbuster

Hey Vicman,
Yeah, I'm just up the mountain from you. This is going to be a winter project with an early spring time launch window. I'll Keep you up to date on it. First have to build the shuttle from scratch which will take some time. You can check out the plan from RCM at
http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...=plans:PL-1110 I think it's a great looking model.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:53 PM
Gryphin

ahh... I remember Rocket Gliders from waay back. the ones I remember were pretty much flying wings. Small fuse that ran just a few inches longer than the wing chord for radio equip and a D size engine, usually had the rudder control surfaces on the outboard edge of the wing, if they were just a basic E/R setup, otherwise it was aileron mixing. Vertical launch, and then they flew like a sloper. I can't belive people still fly these things, they were considered a crazy man's plane back then (back then being like 10-11 years ago)
Old 09-14-2004, 06:41 AM
vicman

PB, have you read the flight charactaristics on that thing? I have heard it flies like the full scale. I think it is too cool. I just picked up a few of the old estes shuttle kits 3 months ago with the intention of trying a scaled-up version out of foam. I also have the SR-71 plans from RCM drawn by the same guy.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:49 AM
propbuster

Hey Vicman,
There's a guy out in California who cuts foam with a CNC machine and has a huge Space Shuttle he made for a customer and the guy backed out of the deal. He wanted like $800 for it. I called him up and asked about a scaled down version but he hasn't called me back on it yet. I'm going nuts trying to find the info I had on it and as soon as I find it, I'll post it here for you to look at. If you need rocket motors, I have a huge box of them at my place back in Black Mtn. A's B's and C's even a few 1/2a jobs. I got them from a guy with a bunch of kits a few years ago. I don't build as many rockets as I used to any more and they're just laying around collecting dust. I'm out on the coast right now working but should be back in the Mtns in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 AM
vicman

Tim, check for a pm
Old 09-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Underaged Pilot

i just watched a 10 foot long x-30 on the discovery channel that was rc was succsefull and i got it recorded
Old 09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
vicman

If you do a search on rocket gliders you will find that Dave the pilot is an RCU member. I have asked for plans from him but I think it was a one time deal. There is also some info on the project in the Tripoli magazine about a year ago. I have built and flown the Estes version quite a few times. I have long term goals of converting it to a multi engine ship.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:14 PM
DesignMan

Actually, Estes not only has made 3 different Rocket RC glider kits, they still make the best of them! The first was my own design AstroBlaster, a canard (Published in RCM as SkyBlaster). I don't recall exactly what the second one was, but the final one is a pretty darn good flyer.

In addition, Bob Parks designed a much larger one called the Phoenix that needed E and F engines to perform.

These will all actually fly very well compared to a scaled Space Shuttle (which will basically have a flight pattern consisting of a boost followed by a fast approach and landing).
Old 09-16-2004, 04:14 PM
propbuster

Yeah, the real Space Shuttle basically glides like a falling brick! I thought that that plan from RMC would work out pretty good seeing that the thing will fly with a 40 and a pusher prop. Hey Vicman, I'm getting a tank mount for my TD .049 from another member in exchange for doing the same in turn for another fellow modeler so, It looks like you're going to get a bunch of rocket motors for free! I'm still planning on being back in Black Mtn the first week of Oct. and will give you a call to meet.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:27 PM
vicman

I don't quite follow you[sm=bananahead.gif] but COOL! I came thru your home town today and it looks like were in line for a good ol fashion pounding! Last week we got 19" the weather genius said we would be looking at rainfall of "biblical proportions" 30"in certain areas! Hope you got those motors in dry storage
Old 09-29-2004, 09:15 PM
propbuster

Guys, Check this out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://members.aol.com/narshuttle/shuttlehome.htm