Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Building a Gentle Lady!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:27 PM
amelia-air
My Feedback: (82)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building a Gentle Lady!

sorry about that--I found it using Goggle --typed in "how to use a hi-start".
Old 11-01-2004, 08:49 AM
amelia-air

Strange--A person in the other site has a plane just like yours,(Kutlessfrog)
Old 11-01-2004, 10:01 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

Is Mark burning the candle at both ends?
Old 11-01-2004, 02:56 PM
mr_frogdude

Yah, I accidentaly made my screen name different, but I thought I could get more responses doing two forums on two sites!?!??? Is this against the rules or something, this is my first forum and all...let me know!...

...anyways the wind is 20 mph today so no flying[:@]! tommarow should be good.

sorry if I did something wrong,
Mark
Old 11-01-2004, 02:58 PM
mr_frogdude

By the way, the link isn't working for me...it just comes up as ERROR!

Thanks anyway,
Mark
Old 11-01-2004, 04:46 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

What "other" forum are we talking about?

Winds are gusting to 30+ here.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:00 PM
amelia-air

Mark,
I was just kidding with you--Put the article in as many Forums you want. You did such a great job,you should be proud.. I already said it was a nice looking plane. I was just out flying to-night. Training a 16 year old,and he is doing great. He still needs a lot of work on the landings,But as long as he don,t mind the walk. My last Gentle is a Sophisticated lady,and its hanging in a 12 year olds bed room. Planes should be flown. Good luck on yours Mark--You are doing fine--Good Luck--Joann
Old 11-01-2004, 05:11 PM
mr_frogdude

the other site is torqueroll ...go to gliders and then you can find my forum. It's slightly smaller than this one!

Amelia-air: Thanks, and good luck on the training...I'm glad I have you guys giving me tips!!!

Mark
Old 11-01-2004, 08:25 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Hmm. That wasn't the "other" I was thinking of.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:44 PM
mr_frogdude

Hey, I received the hi-start and the parachute today!!! Thank you both soooo much!!!!! I might be able to fly tomarrow,but then again maybe not...5-15mph winds, we'll see[&:].

Anyone have something else to talk about...Amelia-air, have you flown the aspire????Mark
Old 11-02-2004, 06:34 AM
amelia-air

Hi Mark,
Raked leaves all day yesterday. Thats my reward for living in N.E.Ohio. The Aspire is still waiting for its first flight. The eng. is mounted,and the radio is in .I used hitec HS -81,rec is a hitec 555. Still have to find the C/G.I bought both the Aspire E/P,and the Blue Aspire Glider. I would have them on Ebay cept I glued the wing halfs togerher. Well --Better get moving. Have a great day--
Old 11-02-2004, 04:32 PM
mr_frogdude

Today started out great, hardly any wind...then I attempted to fly my plane[:@]!!!!!!!!!!!! I just crashed my Gentle Lady like 20 minutes ago...I guess I didnt pull the hi-start back enough. It got 15 feet in the air and then it stalled strait into the ground...I was just stupid not to pull it back far enough[]. After I got over the shock of my first crash, I tried to see if my electronics worked and found out the receiver got messed up...when I plug my battery into the receiver it makes the servos move a bit and then they stop!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT'S WRONG??? I'm so ticked at myself[:'(]....!!!!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40655.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	189224   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34382.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	189225   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25399.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	189226  
Old 11-02-2004, 04:48 PM
amelia-air

Mark,
The transmitter MUST be on when you turn on the Aircraft radio. Rule for flying R/C --Transmitter on first ~off last.Senario--At the field --turn on the transmitter ,turn on the plane radio,do a range check,fly the plane ,turn off the Plane radio,turn off the Transmitter . Try it with your transmitter ON ..
When you launch off of a Hi-Start--you still must toss the plane foward as if you were just hand launch gliding it . Do not just pull the rubber band back ,hook up the bungee,and let it go-I,m sure you will get more tips on flying off a hi-start. Use Google search,type in "how to use a Hi-Start".Torqueroll has a excellent article there. Look it up--If you can not find it--let me know,and I will send it to you--Good Luck--Joann
Old 11-02-2004, 05:00 PM
mr_frogdude

My radio is always on when I turn on the plane batt., but after the small crash the servos just twitch a little then its almost as if the battery is 'disconnected' but it isnt.

Also, I did throw the plane pretty good, I didn't just let go!

Would you have any clue why the servos would just twitch???

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-02-2004, 05:46 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

Crystal is usually the first to go in a crash. What channel you on?

At busy flying fields I always turn my sailplane on first to check for someone on my channel. If there is the sailplane acts like someone is flying it. Saved my cookies a few times and that of the pin board violating flyer. With PCM it's a different story.

I thought you were using your uncle's hi-start? What made you think another hi-start would be any different?

How bad is the damage?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:41 PM
amelia-air

Mark,
Don,t really know what is wrong with your radio.Check all the plug ins,Crystal in the Receiver,Try plugging the Battery directly into the Rec.(Eliminates the switch)Other then that--Hard to give a opinion 2,500 miles away.If all else fails--take the whole works to a local hobby shop. They migt let you try another Rec. Sorry--Good luck--Joann
Old 11-02-2004, 06:44 PM
amelia-air

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

Crystal is usually the first to go in a crash. What channel you on?

At busy flying fields I always turn my sailplane on first to check for someone on my channel. If there is the sailplane acts like someone is flying it. Saved my cookies a few times and that of the pin board violating flyer. With PCM it's a different story.

I thought you were using your uncle's hi-start? What made you think another hi-start would be any different?

How bad is the damage?
So. Cal guy--
At our field we use a Freq Board. All radios go into the holding pen-(Inpound).When you get ready to fly--check the board--make sure no one else is on your Freq. If you are getting hit,better start checking radios--Joann
Old 11-02-2004, 06:56 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

I fly in a very large (200+ acres) public park. There is an honorary pin board. Not all use it. I've been shot down two times in the last ten years. Possibly four times in the 37 years I've been flying RC.

The only time that there is a transmitter impound is during sailplane contests. As I don't fly slimers I haven't used an impound on a daily bases.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
mr_frogdude

I was using the hi-start that Amelia-air gave me, and the parachute that you gave me! Thanks again. Earlier in the post Amelia-air told me its shorter than regular ones...my uncles is a regular hi-start, so I took less steps back and threw, guess I should've taken more[]! The damage isn't terrible to you guys probably, but it was to me! I already fixed the wing and part of the nose, so now I need to buy the crystal. MAN, this week is suppose to me a PERFECT flying time[>:]!!!!! Oh well, that's what I get for not doing the math!!!!!!!!!

I'm on channel 20 just to let ya know.

I'll put on pics of the crash effects,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32882.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	189319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92379.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	189320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76733.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	189321  
Old 11-02-2004, 09:59 PM
amelia-air

ORIGINAL: mr_frogdude

I was using the hi-start that Amelia-air gave me, and the parachute that you gave me! Thanks again. Earlier in the post Amelia-air told me its shorter than regular ones...my uncles is a regular hi-start, so I took less steps back and threw, guess I should've taken more[]! The damage isn't terrible to you guys probably, but it was to me! I already fixed the wing and part of the nose, so now I need to buy the crystal. MAN, this week is suppose to me a PERFECT flying time[>:]!!!!! Oh well, that's what I get for not doing the math!!!!!!!!!

I'm on channel 20 just to let ya know.

I'll put on pics of the crash effects,
Mark
Maybe the rubber is dead ? --Just had a thought Mark,uh -which way did you attach the Parachute ? Hope it din't pop open when you tried to launch .
Old 11-02-2004, 10:04 PM
SoCal GliderGuider

You have to back up till the rubber breaks then take two steps forward.

Actually it's the tension that you are looking for. This depends on the size of the tubing; diameter and wall thickness, in conjuction with the material that it's made from and it's length of course.

Guess Joann would know what the tubing specs are.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:09 PM
amelia-air

As I told Mark--its the one that came with a Ace Whisper.Its more of a mini start. There is 30 ft of med. surgical tubing,and I think 150 of line.If he goes to the ace web site,it tells you all about it .....
Old 11-03-2004, 02:46 PM
mr_frogdude

I couldn't find the web site that explains the mini-start. Would you happen to know the address? Do you remember how far you pulled it back when you used to use it?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-03-2004, 02:56 PM
amelia-air

mark,Ace was bought out by Thunder Tiger. Using Google --access thunder tiger,ace link will pop up--go to gliders --there is a link on the whisper. In the whisper is has provisions to down load the manual--try it--good luck --joann
Old 11-03-2004, 03:59 PM
mr_frogdude

I found the site! Thanks, The rubber is 40' long and the string is 200' long...it said to take 10 steps back, umm thats how many I took, but it wasn't enough or something! I should be flying again this weekend, hopefully the only thing that broke was the crystal!!!!!

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.