Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Minimoa

Old 08-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Buck Barker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minimoa

Mr. Soarneck: I bought a minimoa kit about a month ago,and will start building it this fall. The kit is old, and some of the tail is built. I can hardly wait to get into this thing. I have a question. I want to build it with the transparent whit covering, but so far have had no luck finding any strong enough. Got any leads? Buck
Old 08-05-2002, 07:12 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default covering

Use Coverite antique or Nelson lite fab strong and lite
Old 08-05-2002, 07:22 PM
Ollie

Default Minimoa

What size is the model? What do you expect it to weigh? Will you slope it or fly off the flat? What aspect of covering strength are you concerned about? Torsional stiffness? Puncture resistance? Which coverings have you considered? Does it have to be full transparent or will translucent do? Are you going for the natural color of the full scale cloth?
Old 08-05-2002, 10:15 PM
Buck Barker

Default Minimoa

Starting right from the beginning of your message; It is 5 meter, Not a clue on the weight, Both slope, and winch, I`, thinking coverite, or S****. Probably the same. I just want it to be strong enough for the airframe. Translucent would be ok, it will be white with red trim. Buck
Old 08-06-2002, 12:01 AM
Ollie

Default Minimoa

White Micafilm is very puncture resistant and very light. It is translucent and can be painted. It is free of adhesive but Balsarite on the framework will take care of that. It is also a bit more torsionally rigid than Coverite. Coverite with a clear dope finish will also do a very good job. Coverite will go around compound curves much better. Coverite will have a more scale like appearance. On a plane this size the strength of the airframe should take care of itself.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:06 AM
Buck Barker

Default Minimoa

Thanks Ollie.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:18 PM
dgliderguy

Default Minimoa

Buck,

For a vintage sailplane this size, I highly recommend Sig Koverall, applied with nitrate dope, and then four or five coats of nitrate after heat shrinking. Very scale looking, almost bulletproof, and very affordable! Can't beat that!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:15 PM
Buck Barker

Default Minimoa

Thanks Don: I have a picture of a Mini in Translucent white, with red trim, and liked the combo. Actually, Coveral, or s**** (poly fiber) is what I intended to use any way, as I have a good supply of both
Old 08-10-2002, 04:00 AM
SoarNeck

Default Minimoa

Sorry for the late reply...I don't check this board all that often. I covered mine in 21st Century fabric, and would do it again when I finish my second one. Personally, I hate paint and dope with a passion that burns deep within my soul...but that's just me

No sense in going to a lightweight covering on a model this big, BTW. The wing on my 4m model is 2.5" thick at the root (!!!), and it's slow even on the slope (17lbs). I barely have to give it a push when I launch it.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:11 PM
dgliderguy

Default Minimoa

I agree with Soarneck about 21st Century prepainted fabric. I used it on my Flair Ka8b and love it! You just iron it on, like Monokote, and it looks very uptown. I recommend, however, that you apply Balsarite on the sheeted areas first, as the 21st Century fabric tends to bubble up a bit when left for long hours in the hot sun. Open frame areas do not seem to go slack, just the sheeted areas.

But Buck Barker wants see-thru white (natural, doped fabric), so 21st Century won't do. That's why I recommended polyester weave, like Sig Koverall, S**** or Nelson.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:13 PM
dgliderguy

Default Minimoa

What a hoot!! If you type S T I T S, the server replaces the tee eye tee ess part with asterisks. Thinks you are trying to get randy. Funny.
Old 08-12-2002, 03:19 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minimoa

Now I get it !
I just couldn't figure out what this S**** stuff was supposed to be !

Now, what is S T I T S ?

Michael
Old 08-12-2002, 06:11 PM
Buck Barker

Default Minimoa

Thanks guys:I guess Coverall will be the answere. I have 21st Century fabric on my Robin 100, and I put it on a Citabria Pro last winter. I`m not that sold on the stuff.
S****, or S****, was a full sized aircraft covering system. They made a light S**** system for models. I beleive it is called Poly Fiber now. I use there liquid materials on Coverall. Great!
Old 08-13-2002, 03:41 PM
toobo

Default Minimoa

I don´t know if you can buy "Robbe" products in the States, but they have a very nice, antik looking foil, call "solartex". I used it on my "Goe 1 Wolf".
It´very easy to iron it on.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:26 AM
Buck Barker

Default Minimoa

Thanks: Yes to both. Solartex is available here, as well a robbie products.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:41 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Robbe & Solartex

Could you also tell us where ? Website ?

Thanks, Michael
Old 08-14-2002, 02:48 PM
dgliderguy

Default Minimoa

Last I checked, Balsa USA supplies Solartex in the US. 5 meter rolls go for 33 bucks. Affordable!