Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Hi start question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:56 AM
glidert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi start question

Iv'e just bought a 3.6m dg 505 sailplane and was wondering if my dynaflite heavy duty hi start would be able to launch it. The information which came with the hi start said that it was suitable for up to 3m sailplanes. Do I chance it? Thanks for any advice.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:21 AM
rscarawa

Default RE: Hi start question

That histart is barely adiquate for launching a 2 meter spirit.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/histart.htm#rubber

You will want the 3 meter package at a minimum (not bungee). You can order just the rubber and parachute if you want and buy 400' of masons line to attach to it. I think this is the most cost effective option for you. Hosemonster histarts are good too, but cost more.

How many lbs of pull do the instructions say you need? I think the 3 meter rubber is good for 24 lbs. If this is not enough, get the 4 meter tubing.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:15 AM
glidert

Thanks Scot,
The hi start in question is a bit gentle. As I've only had it a couple of months, I'd like to get a bit more use out of it. I suppose folding the rubber in half, I'd only have about 50 feet, and then attatching the mason string still wouldn't produce enough height. What do you think? btw, my new sailplane is yet to arrive.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:21 PM
rscarawa

Folding the one you have in half might do the job, but the 3 meter histart that I listed will be stronger than that. I think the one you have may be good for 10 lbs-12 lbs. If you get the plane ready before getting the histart, I would try using your current one for test flights. I would shorted the mason's line to 200' though.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:48 PM
glidert

Thanks again Scot,
I'll follow your advice. Being new to sailplanes I bought the hi start thinking that it would do for most silplanes on the basis that it said "heavy duty" and not taking into account the specs. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
rscarawa

Cool thing is that you can use your parachute and line from your existing histart with a new 3 meter piece of rubber. It should make it more cost effective.

Scot
Old 02-06-2006, 10:48 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: glidert

Iv'e just bought a 3.6m dg 505 sailplane and was wondering if my dynaflite heavy duty hi start would be able to launch it. The information which came with the hi start said that it was suitable for up to 3m sailplanes. Do I chance it? Thanks for any advice.
The Dynaflight definately won't do. 2M would be my max on that hi-start. Maybe a light 100" plane.

I have a 3.6m Ventus 2C. Comes in at about 6 pounds. If yours is about the same weight, you will want something that can give you at 4-5 time the weight of the plane in pull in order to get a good launch. That would be 24-30 pounds of pull. I hope you are strong!

The typical 3M hi-start MIGHT be able to give you an adequate launch but I would not think so. If you got a 3M hi-start with 100' of 3/8" rubber you could always double it to get enough pull, but you would get shorter launches. You want something a bit stronger, if you are going to buy one.

The Hosemonster series has a great reputation, but I have never used them.
http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html
If you want a complete Hosemonster hi-start

Complete 3M. & 4M. High Starts
3Meter/100 foot rubber 500' Line $138.00
Unlimited/100 foot rubber 500' Line $160.00
The unlimited would be my recommendation. Better to have too much pull than not enough. This can also launch 3M and even 2.5 M planes, if you have those. Should give great launches.

The Pinnacle, from NE Sailplane, seems to be the standard at our sailplane
club. I would recommend the Pinnacle Heavy Duty. That is what I use to launch my 5 pound 3M Airtroncis Legend. I also use it to launch a 2M spirit.

It will give you a solid launch and the whole package works nicely.
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=872 $106

I would also suggest you not put a hook on the bottom like you have with your other plane. On these scale ships, with their large fuselage, that places the pull very low and away from the wings. This can lead to tipped wings and crashes on launch.

You want to use a bridal that attaches to two side mounted hooks. They should be on the sides of the fuselage about 1.5" below the wing and about 1/2" forward of the CG. You then righ up a bridal that has loops that go over the hooks but come togehter in a Y shape so you can attach them to the ring on the hi-start.

Also, make sure they tip down slightly so that they will come off easily at the right time.

I bought these from Hobby Lobby, but you can make your own. too.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37485.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	403419  
Old 02-07-2006, 07:44 AM
glidert

There's so much that I don't know. Thanks for your advice, particularly regarding the tow hook. I've sometimes had the problem with tipped wings before but managed to survive. On a 3.6 glider, I think it would be curtains. Cheers.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:17 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: glidert

There's so much that I don't know. Thanks for your advice, particularly regarding the tow hook. I've sometimes had the problem with tipped wings before but managed to survive. On a 3.6 glider, I think it would be curtains. Cheers.
Gliders is what I fly the most. From .8M dlg to 3.6M Ventus on aerotow.

I don't hi-start my Ventus, I Aerotow it. My largest plane that has been hi-start launched is my Legend which is 2.9 meters and weigh 5 pounds. I normally winch launch this plane.

To send up the Legend on my hi-start, I pull back my Pinnacle Heavy Duty till I have about 25 pounds of pull. I measured it using a fish scale. That is a LOT of pull to hold onto. While I have done this alone it is challenging to hold the plane and the radio at the same time. Much better if you have someone help you.

Even if your DG 505 is only 5 pounds, the width of the wings makes it tricky to keep them level. Any little cross breeze grabs them and wants to tip them. And the big body makes it impossible to hold the plane from under hte body as you would with some thing like a Spirit or something like that.

One approach is to launch it off the ground. This can be done right off very short grass, but it is easier if you have a little trolly to keep the wings from catching the ground. If you look at these photos of a planes preparing to be aerotowed, you see that it is sitting on a little cart. As the lift takes effect it just flies off the cart. No problem.

Just an idea to help make this easier for you.

This link has suggestions for setting up for winch launching. Good photos of tow hook arrangements
http://www.soaringissa.org/tech_tips..._launching.htm

Hope you find these helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79092.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	403659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17506.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	403660  
Old 02-08-2006, 01:44 AM
glidert

All of this is really good, useful information and much appreciated. Along with my young son, I'm looking forward to to building and flying the dg505. In actual fact he'll be doing most of the flying, being much better. The pictures and the accompanying info was fantastic. Thanks Ed.