Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Help with a model of Space Ship One.

Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Help with a model of Space Ship One.

Old 10-08-2004, 02:18 PM
John Baligrodzki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with a model of Space Ship One.

The incredible achievement of Rutan's Space Ship One has gotten the better of me. I am going to build a reasonably scale glider version and would be appreciative of any help I can get.

The plan is to build a simple model made out of blue or pink foam and some balsa. The models fuselage would be a maximum of 20" long with a span of about 12' or so. Controls would be two channel using elevons only. The model would be carried up piggy-back and released to glide down.

I have given this project some thought and have a few concerns.

1. Where do you supposse the CG should be?
2. To keep things simple, the elevons on the model would be at the trailing edge of the wing and not on the horizontal stabs. Would the elevons at my location work ok? Would they turn the ship and be able to provide enough pitch control?
3. I have been looking for even a basic 3 view along with basic dimensions and I can't seem to find any. Anyone know where I could find this info? If I can't find a three view, I will draw my plan from various pictures and build the ship.

Thanks again for your help!

John B.
North St.Paul, MN
Old 10-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help with a model of Space Ship One.

I'd consider the plane to be normal, c.g. about 30% of the wing.
The elevons... really should be on the booms. Small servos won't be much of a problem there.