Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Gentle Lady vs. Spirit vs. 2X6?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Gentle Lady vs. Spirit vs. 2X6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Theavos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gentle Lady vs. Spirit vs. 2X6?

Looking to build one of the following from kit:
Goldberg Gentle Lady
GP Spirit
House of Balsa 2X6

Looking for folks to help me make a decision based solely on the quality of the kit. While this will be my first RC kit build, I have built several peanut scale freeflight models in the past. I found over the years, that I am a stickler for kit quality. There is something so peaceful and satisfying about sitting down and watching a well designed kit come to life on your building board. On the other hand, I do *NOT* enjoy sitting down to a kit that has to have been designed by someone who is probably cackling madly as my wife and son wrestle me to the kitchen floor to keep me from attempting to end my suffering by drinking my bottle of CA.

So, what's the verdict. Which one of these is a joy to build? All input is appreciated, and I thank you in advance!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:16 PM
martin o

Default RE: Gentle Lady vs. Spirit vs. 2X6?

I haven't built any of the three so take my advise with a bucket of salt. I've seen the Gentle Lady and Spirit kits and will soon be building a Spirit Elite. These kits seem adequate but not great. All three (GL, Spirit, and 2x6) will fly well.
I've built the Scepter from Laser Arts. The build was easy and parts fit is excellent. It also flies extremely well. The Sovereign by Laser Arts should be of equal quality.
The Lil Bird by Skybench Aerotech and the Chrysalis by DJ Aerotech are reputed to be great kits to build and fly. I'd love to build either if I had the time.
That said, you won't go far wrong with any of the kits mentioned so far.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Silverhawk
My Feedback: (1)

I've had all three and they are each a different bird IMO.

The Lady is my favorite for lazy day floating around. It is my choice if there is lite wind and lite to moderate lift.

The Spirit is great for times when the wind is higher and I need to penetrate more. I personally don't have real good luck with the Spirit when there is lite lift but then again I may be a little heavy handed with it too.

The 2x6 is a great trainer in lite to moderate lift and seems to take landing abuse a bit better than most.

They all fly well but I would go with the Lady or Spirit. They all build about the same to me.

Ray
Old 10-22-2004, 02:13 AM
evlwevl
My Feedback: (6)

Last year, I had built and flew my GL through my LSF level I. Mine was one of the first kits to come out and was given to me by a friend who had it stored up in the rafters for probably over 20 years. The kit quality wasnt that great, but I still went ahead and built it, and modified the heck out of it to take a good launch. It definately was one of my favorite planes and very forgiving in the air, however, when the wind comes up even a little, it just gets pushed around and will not penetrate very well. Aside from that, the only gripe I'd say I had with the quality of the wood was that it was die cut and the edges were crushed on most pieces. I dont know if the new kits are manufactured the same way but you should look into it.

In contrast, I recently built and have been flying my Laser Arts Soverign and I have to say that it was a pleasure to build and even more fun to fly. The kit quality was excellent and instructions were very good. When modified slightly, it will take a full pedal launch and soars with the best of them for a 2m polyhedral plane. I cant say enough about it as I've just finished my LSF level II with this plane. Most of the members of my club fly this one and I've rarely heard a bad thing about it.

The Orange/Blue is the GL
The Green/Purple is the Soverign
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29923.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	185280   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16173.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	185281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50937.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	185282  
Old 10-22-2004, 09:14 AM
forrest adams

i've built 2 gl and 4 spirits - the spirit is much more useful for different conditions - however, if the wind is light, the gl will work very light lift. in general, i think you will have more fun with the spirit. the spirit is much stronger and can handle more wind.

good luck!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:14 AM
Gitano

Like 5 years ago a have a GL and the kit has over 10 years old and I installed servos and everything and flew it, my opinion is this GL was the perfect sailplane, I love it. When you have 5 to 10 knots of wind the GL fly like a bird, it never comes down. 2 years later I crash it because I don't know why the rudder where in reverse and I never check it, when i launch it it did a lot of circles until hit the ground with the winch on...[:@]. But now I have a DJ aerotech Crysalis and I buil it in 1 week, I modified the fuselage and if you keep it very light this glider flies better than the GL with tha same 5 to 10 knots of wind. Try the GL, it will be the best first glider kit; as far as I know the new GL is laser cut but I'm not shure, the Crisalys is Laser cut.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:40 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Spirit. Purchased it ready to fly including radio - called the select.

Have done enough repairs that I can say it is easy to build. I bought a kit just for spare parts.

I highly recommend it as a first plane.

Gentle Lady also has a wonderful reputation as a first glider.

Can't comment on the 2X6

This article might be of interest:

Getting Started in Sailplanes
http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=36
Old 10-26-2004, 11:37 AM
Theavos

Thanks for the replies folks, your assistance is much appreciated! I ordered a GL kit, and also went ahead and bought the ARF GL so I would have something to fly while I build the kit. I'm glad I went that route as it gave me the opportunity to see what kind of improvements I can build into the kit (adjustable towhook, etc).
I assembled the ARF Saturday, and took it out to the field Sunday to see what it would do. Now I know why it's called the Gentle Lady! A rather soft hand launch into a mild breeze to check trim had this graceful beauty floating. 30 seconds or so on a very soft toss impressed me. It seems as if she has a mind of her own, and just wants to fly. The high-start was a lot easier than what I was expecting, she gains altitude FAST on the high-start. I had about 10 launches on her, and decided to hand the controls over to dad. I put her right into the sun on the high-start and being temporarily blinded he lost sight of her. She popped off the line prematurely, went straight up, stalled, and the rest is history. While I was excavating the nose cone I figured I may want to position the towhook forward a tad when I rebuild. But we had a blast, and that's what counts.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:22 PM
aeajr

Sorry to hear of your loss. A moment of silence for the lady. I hope she can be rebuilt!

So, lessons were learned.

Avlid launching into the Sun
keep the hook forward of the CG during early fights - go for stability rather than height till you have the plane fully adjusted and you have your brain fully adjusted to the plane.

It is a great plane. You will love it!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:32 AM
elmog

So sorry about that High-Start incident. It's so easy to mess up if everything isn't perfect on the launch. If you're still interested, I just completed a 2x6 glider. The kit is very similar to the gentle lady and the basic airframe goes together rather quickly. The finishing took more time, as I added spoilers for a bit more control. The first flights were conducted by hand-tossing to attain hands-off neutral flight. Then, off to the High-Start! It was actually an upstart, but with the appx 10 knots of wind, it went up just fine. I actually flew into a tree later in the day and ended up with only a small tear in the Monokote. Like a responder above mentioned, it's a very durable glider and will take a bit of landing abuse. The leading edge is made with an arrowshaft (dowel) and is very strong.
I was a bit concerned about the finished weight of the glider when I was adding the spoilers (the only non-stock mod). The total AUW is 30 ounces. The kit says you can use standard servos (at about 1 1/2 ounces each) but I used 3 HS-81's at 1/2 ounce each. If you use the smaller servos, you can put them side by side just aft of the batt compartment. It turns out that the 2x6 has such low wing loading that a little extra weight is not something to worry about. On a windy day you need a bit of pentration.
A very experienced glider pilot flew my plane and was very impressed with how well it flies. He was able to thermal on his first flight with the 2x6. If you decide to go with another glider like the GL, consider the 2x6 as a viable alternative. I paid only $39 at Hobby People and think it's a great deal. Like I said, it is a very robust design. I will send pictures if you like. Happy flying!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:00 PM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theavos,
I've built 2 GLs and a Spirit 100. If the Spirit 2m builds anything like the Spirit 100, it will be a very nice kit. For all its great flying attributes, the GL is still basically the same kit it was 30+ years ago, and the die-cutting and wood quality can be a problem.
I've seen articles where guys have taught kids to build using the 2x4 and 2x6, so that must be a pretty easy build as well. I have not built one, so I can't speak from experience.
For flying, the GL has to be the best to start with. It just flies and flies. It's not a speed demon, so you get some time to think, and it's forgiving enough to fly through some mistakes. It's not the toughest plane I've ever seen, but it's easy to repair should something go wrong. I've had my Lady for over 10 years and it's still my favorite on a light day.

papermache
Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 PM
glydrjocky

I'm building the 2X6 right now. I got this wild hair to put spoilers on it. Mounted a mini servo in the wing root and routed the cables to each spoiler, built from trailing edge stock. I've hinged them with Ultrakote and need to do my final covering of the upper surface. Finished covering the tail feathers this afternoon.

I have flown a couple of 2X4's over the years and wanted to try the 2X6. I'm not a big fan of the two piece fuselage side construction but it came out okay. Looking forward to fly it soon and I'm trying to talk a Telemaster pilot at the field into building a launch cradle so I can piggy back a ride to altitude!

My first glider was a Wanderer 72 and it was built pretty stout, as it survived many an attempt to bash it into sticks.

Here's a couple pics of the spoiler setup. I truely cant wait to try these out!

I suppose I'll have to get around to building a Gentle Lady someday, its a very attractive sailplane.

Name:	Om34320.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	713841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40283.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	713842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24109.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	713843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24447.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	713844   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94145.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	713845   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55624.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	713846  
Old 06-30-2007, 09:12 PM
elmog

Here's a picture of the spoiler installation on my 2X6 glider. I tried to go with an all-mechanical linkage system using a c/f torque rod and three small turnbuckles. I soon realized that I would be better off with a simpler pull string system like GLYDRJOCKY's, so my spoilers are currently taped over. The finished AUW weight using 3 HS-81 (carbonite) servos was just under 30 ounces. My desire to fly led me to cover the spoilers over until I get the time to do a little redesign. It's all a I have to fly right now...you know how that is! By the way, I went in hard today when I botched a winch launch and the 2X6 came out with just a slightly compressed nose block. The rest of the plane survived unscathed and after a close inspection, I continued to fly from the winch. Like I said before, a very sturdy design!

Name:	Vt57706.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	714341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86102.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	714342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44691.jpg
Views:	1527
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	714343  
Old 07-04-2007, 10:19 AM
glydrjocky

Very nice mechanism, Hope you can get it working cus it looks great!

T
Old 07-06-2007, 01:07 AM
TexasThermalKing

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a Gentle Lady, and taught several guys new to flying RC Sailplanes that had Spirits, never owned or flew the 2x6, but flew against it in contests. I like the Gentle Lady, you just need to build any of them light. Several good power plane builders and flyers have wanted to fly build and fly sailplanes...and they often see the structures as needing Reinforcements or other modifications. This "Built to Crash and Not Break" modification will ruin a good plane. Just be sure you glue it well, where the parts join. Cover it, balance it, and go fly it. The GL is nice to fly, even with well palced ballast in a wind. The Spirit is a good sailplane, the ones I flew were Heavily built...so they flew well, but were hard to thermal in light lift. The 2x6 was well built, modified only to be light, and it was impossible to beat in the contests I saw it at. The man who built it was a good flyer, and light was his strength in the plane. You can not go wrong with any of the ones you listed. Good luck on your build, let us hear how she danced on the bubbles of air.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:43 AM
aeajr

The key to making the Spirit fly well is to move the servos forward, in front of the wing.

The plans call for having the servos under the wing. I moved mine forward and reduced the balance weigt from 4.5 oz to 1.5 oz. ONe oz is in the nose block and .5 oz is in the weight box behind the nose block.

Flies nicely.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:58 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So much of this has been about what the models are like after they are built. But you asked about the quality of the kits themselves.

The original die cut GL kits were horrible fitting. Spars wobbling in their slots in the ribs and misshappen leading and trailing edge parts. The tails were OK but that's most likely because they were made from strips that you cut and fit yourself. I later bought an Electra kit and quickly resold it to someone that was willing to deal with the issues even after I warned him. The fits were so bad that I just didn't want to even start on it.

I understand that the later laser cut versions suffer from the same fit issues. Lots of reports of this in past threads over the years.

Flying wise there's nothing at all to compare on calm days. The Lady lives up to her name in every way. Too bad it's the opposite moniker that applies to the kit quality...

Can't say much about the other options since I've never seen the insides of them.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:37 PM
aeajr

Fit on the Spirit kit was pretty good. Wood quality was not always the best but it was at least OK.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:36 PM
quepasa

As fate would have it, I just recieved the newest version of the G/L and the kit looks good! Parts are beautifuly cut from nice wood. Should be no problem to build and modify for a .10 glow engine which is the plan for this one. Theres lots of room inside the fuse for extra stuff.

Don't know about the 2X6 but if it's anything like my 2X4, there will be little room inside the fuse. for 3 servos & fuel tank should you power it with a glow engine. Mines a shade fast and heavy, but flys good. I used an HS-55 for throttle and micro reciever to make it all fit with std. elevator/rudder servos & std. battery.

Anyone else flying glow powered sailplanes?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:02 PM
aeajr

I have read about glow powered sailplanes but have never seen one. I have only seen electrics.

Likewise all the commercial sailplanes I have seen have been electric. I have not seen one designated for glow power.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:06 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: quepasa

Anyone else flying glow powered sailplanes?

There is one model I've seen. I think it's the Butterfly. I think it was originally issued as a kit to use a .15 glow. It's polyhedral and looks somewhat like a larger Gentle Lady.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:18 AM
aeajr

Oh yes, you are right, the butterfly is still sold as a glow glider.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE616&P=ML
Old 07-16-2007, 04:10 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

My club and another local club have been having glo powered 2M sailplane contests for the past few years. We mandate the use of either a Cox .049 with the 8cc tank or the Norvel Startup .049 with the tank mount it comes with...yes, I know it's a little larger than the Cox.
I'm attaching a couple of pics of my trusty old entry. It's a much lightened Gentle Lady, built from plans rather than the kit. It weighs in at 20 oz. ready to fly and uses the Norvel turning an 8X4 prop for a long, 1/2 A Texaco style run. It thermals very nicely.

We've recently had an electric contest, and it's much easier (just open the throttle and go, no cranky engines!) but the glo powered planes are still fun.

Name:	Ay75479.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	724125   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91162.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	724126  
Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 AM
glydrjocky

My first glider was a Wanderer sailplane and we used a T.D. .049 powerpod rubberbanded to the top of the wing. Had a small metal control line type tank on it that gave us a decent run time and what I guesstimate was about a 4 to 5 hundred foot launch maybe a bit more. All I can remember is that the glider got very small up there when the tank ran dry!!! Used the same power pod on a 2X4 glider later on.

I do recall one extremely harrowing moment when we dripped some priming glow fuel into the exhaust port and connected the battery. Suddenly there was a strange crackling sound the Hobby Shack Flitecote covering began to melt way before my very eyes!!!!!!![:-] Since this was my first R/C model ever and my first covering job with the paper thin Flitecote I was no stranger to burning holes in the covering but at least with a heat gun its under somewhat more "controlled conditions". So as two paniced teenagers attemted to extinquish the flames we suddenly noticed that the 5 acres of 2 foot tall dry grass in which the glider was sitting began to turn a distinct "charcoal black color" . The melting covering was quickly forgotten as we began stomping out the beginning moments of a what was trying to become a raging wild fire. Thankfully, boots work as great fire extinquishers when your 15 years old, your adrenalin is pumping, and the thought of explaining to your father how you burned the entire valley to the groud is at the forefront of your mind. Amazingly, we missed stomping the glider in the process and the alcohol must have burned itself out. To the best of my recollection we did fly it again......

Ah, the trials and tribulations of youth......... I do have a new power pod with an T.D. .051 on it............

Now where did I put that fire extinquisher?