Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Need a nose cone for this plane

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Need a nose cone for this plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 10:22 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need a nose cone for this plane

I purchased a 2M, full house, V-tail sailplane from a club member. He thinks
the name is Scorpion. It has wood sheeted wings. They might be obechi. He had no other information.

I did find a reference to a Lil Scorpion on the internet, but no photos or specs other than this:
Lil Scorpion High Tech 2M Sailplane by C. Fox

I don't know if this is the right info for this plane as I can't find anything else. Perhaps you can look at the photos and provide some additional info, even it if is just to verify the name.

I specifically need help locating a nosecone for the plane. Any ideas?

Or ideas on how to fabricate one. That would help too.

Other than that, it is in good shape.

Can anyone help me?

Best Regards,
Ed Anderson
www.lisf.org
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36144.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	194311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37061.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	194312   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32632.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	194313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52468.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	194314  
Old 11-18-2004, 10:42 PM
seanpcola
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need a nose cone for this plane

Hi Ed,

Nice looking bird. I have had a similar situation before and the way I fabricated a new nosecone was to fill in the access area (canopy opening) with a balsa block, sand to shape being sure to get the contour and clearances equal, wrap with clear packing tape carefully (no wrinkles or overlaps), wax the tape heavily and then lay up 2 oz and 1/2 oz cloth, apply resin and after curing pop it off, trim, fill as necessary and paint. Your cloth weights and schedules would of course be up to you and what "feels" right. Probably an easier way but this was quick and the results were as good as factory.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:55 AM
aeajr

seanpcola,

Thanks for the suggestion. I am sure I can make it if I have to.

That has been the story of my "building" by a non-builder. I have yet to fully build a kit, but have probably learned enough based on the rebuilding I have done on used planes as well as the repairs from my poor flying.

Your approach seems very workable. I just didn't want to take the time to do it, but I may not have a choice. The plane calls to me. It is in pain. I can't just leave it in the rack like that. It is cruel and unusual punishment on an innocent plane.

Something must be done!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:43 AM
seanpcola

The easiest approach would be tto sell it to me! Just kidding. Or am I? Yep, I understand how you feel. I keep every plane I ever owned no matter how damaged and I seem to end up with a lot of other people's culls too. Repairing damage is actually one of the best ways to learn. It would be great if someone on here could offer an easier or faster solution to the nose cone but I hope no matter how you decide to go you get it in the air.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:50 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: seanpcola

but I hope no matter how you decide to go you get it in the air.
What? Me? Leave a plane unflown?

Me who went from a station wagon to a mini-van so he could carry more planes to the field? Me?

Oh no, don't worry! This baby will fly again. It is just a matter of when.

It is my mission in life. I am on a quest! Rocks, bushes, hunks of 2X4! they will all fly some day. I will ....... I will...... (calm your self ..... inner peace ...)

Oh, yes, I will see that it flies again for the good of mankind and in the name of the Queen! (somebody's Queen)
Old 11-19-2004, 07:10 PM
seanpcola

It doth warm my heart to see that you. like me, will do whatever it takes, make any sacrifice, to unselfishly give your all that any and all things possible are made to fly with no regard to your personal wellbeing. Hope I can lay this on my wife in the same light......
Old 11-19-2004, 08:22 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

LOL!!! I know how you guys feel!

Have you considered (ugh!) foam? [:'(] I cringe when I say that..... ! [:'(][:'(][:'(] It'll get you in the air temporarily at least...

You could always build a do-it yourself vacu-forming rig and do a nosecone that way..... and actually, believe or not, it's fun!
Old 11-19-2004, 08:45 PM
seanpcola

I like this idea a lot. I have had very little experience with vacuum forming, done quite a bit of "bagging" though. Cwrr5, can you pass on some knowledge and explanation of the process?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:29 PM
aeajr

Vacuforming? Do tell! Do tell!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:03 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Vacu-forming will provide you a shell but no reall strength like the glass molded cone will. Also you'd still have to make the temporary canopy plug to fill in the gap.

A variation on the glass work from the past. The old Petit HobbyPoxy company EZ DOZ-IT method using a balloon. Make up the firm balsa plug for the gear opening as already suggested. Then get some long hotdog shaped party balloons, the ones that blow up to be about 4 inches round and 2 feet long. Blow one up and push it on over the nose of the model with the nose touching the end of the balloon. Let the air out as you push it over the nose of the model and keep going until the nose is trying to come out through the nozzle of the balloon. At that point cut the nozzle off and pull the balloon over the model so the nose is coated in rubber. Rub it down with some silicone type rubber and plastic creamy auto buff up restorative goop and wipe sort of dry. Now prep your glass layups and mix up the resin. Drool it all on the nose and then put on another balloon the same way you did the first but this time it goes on over the glass layup to act as a pressure jacket. Some of the same auto rubber and plastic detailer goop rubbed onto and the excess taken off will ensure the balloon doesn't stick.

For a glass layer of a nosecone like this that'll have to withstand a lot of impacts I'd suggest two layers of 2 oz woven cloth with a layer of 2 oz matt between. This will result in a layup that's between 1/32 and 1/16 thick. Obviously a bit extra cloth at the nose wouldn't hurt. If you watch your seam overlaps and avoid any voids at the joint it should come out with little if any lumps. And seams should be staggered to avoid a weak line. Overlapping the woven cloth is fine but avoid any overlaps or voids in the matt.

Do it right. That model looks like it's worth the extra effort. Nice find too!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:03 AM
cwrr5

I didn't think to ask before, but is it actually the nosecone, or is it the canopy? I couldn't really tell in the picture... If it's the nosecone, I agree, vacu-forming is NOT the way to go! [X(]

If it is in fact just the canopy, and assuming it's not critical to the structure, then vacu-forming one is one option. I'm fairly new to it, but there are lotsa threads on RCU that explain it. I use a shop vac for the vacuum part, a large plastic box with perforated circuit-board material covering the top as the work surface(roughly 8X10). I've also seen bigger ones that use pegboard as the work surface, but I don't need parts that big. I just use scrap wood(whatever is laying around) for a frame for the plastic, and use my heat gun to carefully heat the plastic. Then with the vacuum running pull it down over the form. The plastic only takes a few seconds to cool and harden, and will work for most shapes. It's quick(after you make the form), easy, and cheap. (after you figure it out).

Also, if it's not structural, then foam can be shaped to fit to either leave as is(not sure how you'd attach it), or you could even use that as a plug to make a fiberglass part.

I like the fiberglass method that BMatthews suggested - that might actually be better in this application. That looks like a very nice plane - absolutely worth the extra effort.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:08 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: cwrr5

I didn't think to ask before, but is it actually the nosecone, or is it the canopy? I couldn't really tell in the picture... If it's the nosecone, I agree, vacu-forming is NOT the way to go! [X(]
It is a full nosecone that slides on from the front - tube like structure. I think I am going to have to build it up with FG/Epoxy resin.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:34 AM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Aeajr,
Don't know but that plane looks a lot like the Velvia-FV 2m from www.arthobby.com. If so they sell a replacement fuse for $63.00 but I but you could get them to part with just the nose cone. Good luck in any event.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:02 AM
cwrr5

Yep. Looks like epoxy/fiberglass probably is the way to go then.

I don't think it is the Velvia-FV, the shape of the wings is different. Unless it's a modification? Note the outboard wing sections with the angled sweep back, as opposed to the more rounded Velvia. Still dang nice lookin plane!
Old 11-20-2004, 01:17 PM
aeajr

The velvia does look very similar. That has a 4 section wing and this is a 2 section wing. I wrote to them and sent photos.

I expect I am going ot have to make it myself. Oh well. Another skill to learn.

maybe I will get lucky, they will know the plane and have a part.

Edit: just looked at the Velvia parts close-up. NG. This one has a slant to the cone, extending on the top. Theirs is square.
Old 11-20-2004, 03:00 PM
cwrr5

Stay tuned - still searching & brainstorming

Edit: you know, you could just send it to me to make it easier on my poor little brain....
Old 11-20-2004, 08:10 PM
seanpcola

Already tried that on aeajr! Maybe there is a way one of us could get some info and blackmail him out of it.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:36 PM
aeajr

Nope, I am going to keep it. May start to do the FG lay up tomorrow. Will carve the foam tonight, maybe.

Keep the ideas coming!

I never met that girl.... ever!