Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Tow Aircraft / DG1000

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 08:05 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow Aircraft / DG1000

Thanks to everybody for the information provided in my earlier posts regarding the DG1000 (from Icare) and my inquiries about launching this sailplane via a Hi-Start or Winch. I recieved the DG1000 today in the mail and after taking the fuse and wings out of the box I can easily see what a physical job/chore it would be to launch this ship via a Hi-Start.

Not wanting to shell out $ 500+ for a good winch, I am now considering/investigating purchasing and/or building a tow aircraft. There are numerous good/experienced RC pilots at the clubs I belong to that I would be willing to trust with a tow aircraft that I built/purchased. I am also thinking of the enjoyment that I would get towing sailplanes up for other people. I am also sure that the presence of a tow airplane at the field will get more people into gliders/sailplanes.

So, here are my initial questions:

Roughly how big does the tow airplane have to be to tow up a glider in the 130" span (8 pound) range ?
Which style/type of airplanes are suited best for towing ?
Where can I go to get more information on tow airplanes ?

Thanks again. Bob
Old 08-23-2002, 08:10 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aero-towing

HereAerotowing

And here :Aerotowing info

Michael
Old 08-28-2002, 02:26 AM
GMM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just getting into aerotowing here. We are using an old Ace Big Bingo (88 inch wing span) with a Quadra 40 gas engine, and it will pull up planes in the 3-4 meter range with ease. I have also seen several high wing "cub" type airplanes with a Zenoh G-23 that pull up the 3 meter size planes with ease.

A plane with a 90 sized 4 stroke would be able to pull your plane up, but you will have to be patient. The planes mentioned above will get a plane to altitude in about 2.5 minutes or less (never have timed it but it is pretty quick).

I just got plans to a 1/4 scale piper pawnee, which I plan on building this winter for towing. It has a 108 inch wing span.

Hope this gets you started.

Greg
Old 08-28-2002, 07:21 AM
VinceC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on the Sailplane end of the line but I believe most tugs in the club run on Zenoah 62 and pull almost everything.

I run the website for the Southampton Soaring Society

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sssrcsoaring/

and I have just put a shot on the intro pop-up page of a 32 pound Slingsby T-46 being pulled up by a Tug fitted with a Zenoah 80